Precautions before ordering on line

Reaction score
I appreciate that many of the members on here live outside the UK, but the company concerned appear to operate alsi in the States and possibly other countries.

I have had many good experiences buying from internet companies. Recently I ordered a camera from such a company. Alongside the picture of the camera was a delivery promise of 1-2 days, but when the e mailed acknowledgement came the delivery was quoted as 1-7 days. After 3 days I sent an e mail asking for a delivery date, and they could not give me one. I then gave them 24 hours to deliver or I would cancel the order. They sent an e mail back to say that the order had been cancelled, and that the relevant department had been contacted to approve this cancellation. My next step was to ask when my refund would be made to my credit card. The reply was that this was in hand and would take 3-5 days. I contacted them again pointing out that the 5 days had now expired. They agreed that the credit was overdue and said that the financial department had been contacted on my behalf. I have now placed the matter in the hands of the credit card company, who have assured me that they will take up the matter, and if a refund is not forthcoming they will make the refund to me themselves.

I have made a search of the internet, for complaints concerning the company and the results make terrible reading. The website to all intents and purposes appears to be a British company, but in fact they are based in Hong Kong. There are many horror stories of undelivered orders and difficulties in getting refunds on line. The credit card operator had a look at the website and was also of the opinion that the site looked British.

I have no intention of making slanderous statements as I do not want trouble, but would recommend to anyone that before buying from such a company that a search is made first.

The results of my search are as below.

http://www.freelancers.net/show_forum/20090202/205981.html

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/simply-electronics-c206165.html

http://www.canyoutrustthem.com/index.php?go=quick_search&keyword=simply+electronics

There are many more.

Reaction score
That's why I only use Amazon or Newegg. They're both fast and have terrific price's compared to elsewhere.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Normally, I use either Newegg, Amazon or eBay for most purchases, except software, which I usually buy from it's direct source, unless it costs less elsewhere.

A lot of times on Newegg, software does cost less, considerably so. Unless one is in a hurry for it, wait for a sale before buying.

Unless I buy on eBay or Amazon, where I have protection, I don't buy from foreign sources. I've received way too many junk mails for all parts of the world, seeking to sell items either at prices way too good to be true, or it's an obvious scam.

In the US, there's a company called Heartland America. Avoid them like the plague, one can find the items that they sell (many refurbs) on eBay for far less.

As a general rule of thumb, no matter where someone lives, it's always best to deal with reputable sources, as crooks are all over the net, all over the world.

Cat

Reaction score
Cat. Sometimes it's better to use Amazon or Newegg for software, too. Back in September 2009, when I was ready to purchase Norton Internet Security 2010 Symantec charged $7.995 on there website. I searched Amazon for it and found it for $45-47. Big saving's if you ask me. Newegg's usually better for hardware than Amazon, but not alway's on software. As far as Ebay, I personally keep away from it, as you never know where it's coming from or if it's a scam. I'd rather deal with reputable companies and know I'm getting what I paid for.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience with us Andsome.
Sounds like it was a real pain in the neck.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your experience with us Andsome.
Sounds like it was a real pain in the neck.
At least my credit card company are on the case. I have been assured that should a refund not be forthcoming, they will reimburse me.:)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
As usual, it is always best to remember that old adage: CAVEAT EMPTOR !!

Reaction score
Having contacted the card company the refund has now gone through.:)

Ask a Question