Partition Magic and Windows 7 - Partitions Unaccessible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Partition Magic and Windows 7 - Partitions Inaccessible

I made a mistake in letting Partition Magic 8 "repair" my HD. now I have lost my partitions except my C:
D:, E:, F:, G: are gone and I can't even access them in Windows 7 disc management. When I tried to assign drive letters to each partition, I receive an error message "The opreation failed to complete because the Disk Management console view is not up-to-date. Refresh the view by using the refresh task. If the problem persists close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer".

Please help, I would really like to recover the data in my lost partitions.

I tried using Testdisk and it can see all the paritions, but it shows all the partitions as deleted. When I tried to change more than one partitions to L (Logical), it shows that the strucutre is Bad. Am I missinf a step here?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Currently I am using Easus Data Recovery Wizard V5.0.1 and using the "Partition Recovery" option. It is scanning my HD and apparently there is 42 hrs left to go. I have a 1TB drive, does this sound normal. Also, will be able to simply repair the partition table or do I have to copy the data from the lost partitions then manually copy them back after I reformat the drive?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Yeah, it is probably normal as it takes a long time like that for the software to index every little thing.

R-Studio may be able to recover files without any startup process. Just run R-Studio and click on the drive to see what it can recover. If you do recover, be sure to choose another drive to save to and not the original. That would just overwrite the things you're trying to recover.

Reaction score
jt 9000, Good morning,

I used Partition Magic to resize a partition and had an interruption during the process and was unable to access that partition.

The only option I was getting in computer management - Disc Management was ....Format this drive.

I read around and was pointed to this program... Partition Table Doctor 3.0

I used p2p to aquire (which I do only in emergency situations) and ran it...boom...there was my partition returned with a message saying that any corrupt or incomplete stuff would be in its own folder if found.

Go slow and think it out as you use this program because it asks a lot of stuff. Like ending sectors being wrong and such, I just went ahead and said OK to all this and let it run.

I forget how long it took, not anything like hours though.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Did you use Partition Table Doctor 3.0 on Windows 7?

Right now I am recovering data by using Easus Recover Wizard and saving them on an external drive.

jt 9000, Good morning,

I used Partition Magic to resize a partition and had an interruption during the process and was unable to access that partition.

The only option I was getting in computer management - Disc Management was ....Format this drive.

I read around and was pointed to this program... Partition Table Doctor 3.0

I used p2p to aquire (which I do only in emergency situations) and ran it...boom...there was my partition returned with a message saying that any corrupt or incomplete stuff would be in its own folder if found.

Go slow and think it out as you use this program because it asks a lot of stuff. Like ending sectors being wrong and such, I just went ahead and said OK to all this and let it run.

I forget how long it took, not anything like hours though.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Reaction score
After backing up the data, I did not have much luck with Parition Table Doctor. So I went ahead and reinstalled windows 7 on my C:

To my suprise, all my partitions are back after a clean install of Windows 7.

Reaction score
I had the same problem.
If you have important files in your defective HDD and you want to save them, don't modify this HDD. You can read your defective HDD from Windows XP and copy your important files and folders. For this, boot from another HDD that contains Windows XP.
After I did this, I formatted my defective HDD and reinstalled Windows 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question