Paint Shop Program

Reaction score
The old XP paint shop allowed me to right click on top of a photo and preview or choose a color out of a photo as I would scroll up and down, until I found the color I wanted to work with. What I am trying to say it had a small preview window......my W7 on the other hand doesn't do this,:( it just capture a color where I will put the mouse on top of it, no preview at all, that's it.... it's my W7 glitch or they just changed this function on us, period?
Thanks for any help on this.
Katia

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Hi Katia, and welcome to the forum! There's a good chance that the program may not run the way it did in XP. There are many older programs/hardware that doesn't. What you can do is download and install a VM with XP Pro, and your problem will be solved. At no cost to you, except a little time updating XP and installing the AV of your choice within it. Go to the black menu bar on the forum interface, and select "Search" Make sure "threads" are checked, and type "vm lite", w/o the quotes. Go down to the sixth or so thread. The title of it is "XP Mode in Windows 7 w/o hardware virtualization". Read the first post of the thread carefully, your instructions for downloading and installing it will be there. What you will have is a PC within a PC, and is easy to use. It is a pre-activated version of XP Pro SP3, once you see it running, you should be familiar with updating the program. By default, IE6 is the browser here, so you'll want to upgrade to at least IE7 (recommended). IE8 doesn't perform well within it. And you can even install your favorite programs and the browser of your choice in it. Just make sure to install the AV of your choice in it. Should you need further help, or have any questions, feel free to post back at anytime. Best of luck to you.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. I am not knowledgeable at all with computer language, what's VM and AV? Downloading this new program, does it mean I loose my current W7 paint shop? I like all new futures with the exception of the capturing a color from a photo.
I have a brand new computer and it came with IE8.

Reaction score
The old XP paint shop allowed me to right click on top of a photo and preview or choose a color out of a photo as I would scroll up and down, until I found the color I wanted to work with. What I am trying to say it had a small preview window......my W7 on the other hand doesn't do this,:( it just capture a color where I will put the mouse on top of it, no preview at all, that's it.... it's my W7 glitch or they just changed this function on us, period?
Thanks for any help on this.
Katia
1. Let me see if I understand........Am I correct that you had an older version of PaintShop that you were using on an older computer, and since then you have bought a newer version of PaintShop for your new computer?

If this is correct, then it would appear that PaintShop just made a few changes in their software.

2. OR.....If you didn't buy a new PaintShop, you're just trying to run the same old PaintShop software on a new W7 computer? If this is the case, the old software may not be compatible with Windows 7.

In that event, you can buy the newest version of Paintshop, PaintShop Photo Pro X3, which IS compatible with W7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Dallas Dad. I have a brand new PC, which came with W7 and paint shop. As far as I understand everything is new and freshly updated like windows.
I guess my question is; would the Paint feature been updated in all aspects for W7, like better brushes, fonts and some other wonderful things, but then the feature that you can capture a color from a photo be degraded? . I am wondering if there is a glitch somewhere, I just can't imagine the wonderful improvements only for the better, but then lower this particular function to basically nothing......
I should have asked this question "For those of you who have used paint in the older versions of Windows, are you having problems viewing /capturing color from photos on the new W7 paint program?
Sorry for the questions, I am very grateful for this forum and the ones who care to help out.
Katia

Reaction score
Thank you Dallas Dad. I have a brand new PC, which came with W7 and paint shop. As far as I understand everything is new and freshly updated like windows.
I guess my question is; would the Paint feature been updated in all aspects for W7, like better brushes, fonts and some other wonderful things, but then the feature that you can capture a color from a photo be degraded? . I am wondering if there is a glitch somewhere, I just can't imagine the wonderful improvements only for the better, but then lower this particular function to basically nothing......
I should have asked this question "For those of you who have used paint in the older versions of Windows, are you having problems viewing /capturing color from photos on the new W7 paint program?
Sorry for the questions, I am very grateful for this forum and the ones who care to help out.
Katia
Katia since this software came preinstalled on your new computer, it does not sound like a glitch. It's just a new version of the software.

One problem though, you started out calling this software PaintShop, now you're calling it Paint. There's a big difference between the two.
PaintShop is a premium retail software primarily for photo editing. "Paint" or Microsoft Paint is an extremely simplified software program shipped with either all or most versions of Windows.

If you're just using Paint and if you're really interested in photo editing type software, I'd really suggest looking into Adobe Photoshop Elements 8, or the latest PaintShop software.

Reaction score
Yes, I did mean just paint, thank you for the explanation concerning the two. Wow, I am surprised they would make this many changes, which all of them were of great improvement, with this one exception. Again, thanks for the help.
Katia

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Maybe You are not getting an answer to your question?
I am not clear what it is you mean, but there is a "Colour picker" which I think is what you are looking for?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you davehc, this is what I am talking about......I know how to do what you have in your video,
Let me see if I can explain this better......the "color picker" in the old WXP - let's say you are working with a Rose picture, you could just move your mouse with the "color picker" all over the picture and see the different color palette in the rose picture on color #1 box, as long as you kept your mouse moving over the picture color #1 box kept changing, allowing you to preview every shade of color in the rose; once you stopped then it captured the color the you stopped on top of it just like you see on the "edit color" chart.

New W7 paint, feature, at least mine doesn't allow me see the different shades and colors in the picture, it just allows me to pick one color and it where I point the "color picker" to it, then all of the suddenly it's there on color #1 box.
Hope this is a better explanation, sorry if it's a little confusing.
Katia

Reaction score
(Accessory) Paint also apparently has no way to set preferences.

Each time I print, it defaults to the worst possible configuration. I have to manually set to portrait, center and choose 100% size (rather than 700%).

Is this just another of the Win 7 screw ups?

It is about as inconvenient, as Windows Media Center is unreliable.

Thanks in advance.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Oops never mind.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Win7, Paint is very basic and always has been. W7 paint tries to be more intuitive in guessing you want to fill the sheet of paper. There is no way to save the settings that I was able to find so if the 5 - 10 seconds it takes to set them each time is an issue then you may want to try some freeware alternatives or invest in some quality paid programs. It isn't a screw-up, it is a design decision that you don't like. Another possible option is to use the old XP Paint in a Virtual window if you are eligible for Virtual PC - XP mode (requires Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise editions) but it has no way to save settings either.

As for Media Center, I rarely use it, as I prefer VLC or plan old Media Player but I have not had any problems with mine. If you have an issue with Media Center you might start a thread about the problems you encountered and we can see if there is a solution.

"I'm a PC and many features of Windows 7 were NOT my idea :p"

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I checked out my version of Paint for Windows 7 and I totally understand what you mean by 'color picker'. This new version allows you to only select the color and not preview it first.

To work around this, give Photofiltre a try (http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/) it's a totally free image editor and optimizer. When you open an image in it, on the right side of your screen you'll see a thin menu. Select the Pipette Tool and then Click on your image. The little square will become the clicked color, but you have the option to keep clicking around in the image to get new colors in the box. It also shows you the color combination (the Red, Green, Blue numbers) so you could re-create that exact color any time you like.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Paintnet is excellent. It is fully featured. (and free). I don't know how they are getting away with it, as it seems to be a total copy of the older Paintshop programs. Have a look at it - does everything!

http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Ask a Question