Opinion on these adaptor cards.

Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear back from the suppliers tech support for their opinion but wanted some other views as well.
I'm tossing up between two FireWire PCI cards.
Both are within $20 of each other in price and both offer the same selection of connectors and both FireWire 800 and FireWire 400.

However one is a PCIe card which I understand is the newer/faster port and my new MoBo will have them but the other card is 64-bit but only the older PCI.

Would PCIe offset the 64-bit? speeds are not quoted in the catalouge and I'm not sure if the 64-bit card is backward compatible.

Edit: found on their website the 64-bit is quoted of speeds up to 800Mbit/sec and the PCIe card as up to 400Mbit/sec so guess really the only question is if the 64-bit card will work with both 32-bit and 64-bit external devices.

Reaction score
Whatever you get, make sure it has the Texas Instruments chipset, as it will be most reliable and compatible with gear.

Either PCI or PCI-e will be fine. You're not going to max mobo bandwidth out in either scenario anyhow.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks. I don't know about the chipset, it's not mentioned in the specs and was not a question I asked in my email to the supplier.
I'm correct in thinking that PCIe is the newer/faster slot.
Acedemic I guess when the 64-bit card is quoted as faster. Just thinking though I should double check my MoBo still has PCI slots and not all PCIe. That might make the decision for me.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have a camera that needs firewire (aka 1394)? As far back as 2008 even Steve Jobs admitted Firewire is dead or dieing... Article.

Reaction score
I was just wanting some flexibility for connectivity. Not a big issue.

Reaction score
Nah, FW is going strong. All professional audio interfaces and other high end a/v equipment use it.

Like my MOTU Traveler in specs.

Ask a Question