How do I get my USB 2.0 Wi-fi adaptor to give me internet access for boot time virus

Reaction score
I recently moved and my current internet access is through a Rosewill RNX-N180UBE USB 2.0 802.11 B/G/N Wireless Adaptor through Bright House Cable/Road Runner 10 m.b.p.s. internet connection. I like to run boot time virus scans the night before my weekly backup/system image. How do I get the wi-fi connection to work when booting from bootable virus scan cd's/dvd's ? When I tried running my Norton bootable cd, it now just starts the virus scan, instead of downloading definition updates first. When I had a wired dsl connection, it always searched for and downloaded virus/spyware definitions first. Also Norton Power Eraser was selectable. Now it isn't.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't have an answer for you. In my experience, when you boot and run from a CD there is no update because it can't "write" to the CD so where would it put it? Plus since you are using the CD to boot instead of the hard drive, it would have to be designed to load the drivers to support networking and this is pretty specific to your machines parts.

Reaction score
Actually, most put the definitions in a folder they create on your C: drive. For Symantec/Norton (which I'm using), it's called NBRT for Norton Bootable Recovery Tool.. This folder was made a while back while I still had dsl directly wired to my pc. The Bright House Cable/Road Runner, I don't have access to it's router, to directly wire to my pc. The router's in my landlord's room. I still have to contact Netgear and see how I'd go about re-hooking up my WNDR3700 router to my pc.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK, I looked up Norton Bootable Recovery Tool and it looks like when you first run it it creates your Bootable DVD. So I suggest you try running the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378Norton Bootable Recovery Tool Wizard again and create a new start-up DVD with your current networking settings.

Reaction score
Yeah, I can do that. I'll wait until I get some cd/dvd-rw disk's first. I only have cd & dvd-r's currently. I think I'm going to get around to contacting Netgear later today to find out what I need to get my WNDR3700 hooked up again. I think I need some type of adaptor from them that plug's into the router's internet port. If that's the case, then I can get that and re-hard wire my desktop to my router.P.S. All the bootable virus scanners check for updated definitions, if you have internet access before they scan. The way I know the wi-fi access doesn't exist during bootup is that Norton's bootable cd it makes contains Power Eraser (similar to Threat Fire) and the bootable virus/spyware/malware scanner. Without internet access @ bootup, Power Eraser isn't selectable. Both search for definiton and product updates before starting the actual scan. AVG, Microsoft, Kaspersky, Dr. Web, etc. all look for newer definitions first before the scan. I've run them all in the past. Bit Defender's does, too. I won't use their's again, as it also add's things to Windows startup and a special bootloader that's hard to remove.

Last edited:

Ask a Question