SOLVED Opening Files with the "Open With" feature

Reaction score
I hope my file attachment is included in this e-mail. It is a picture of two little boys and requires an "Open With" feature to open it. The problem I have is that it changes my icons to the icon that I used to try to open this file

It should look like a blank sheet of paper with a fold in the upper right-hand corner.

I want to be able to open a file (unless it is impossible) with one of these Open With features, without my other icons changing.

Thanks.

Mimi
m139139

Reaction score
Where is the attachment located? Do you know what type of file it is, like .jpg or .bmap etc.
You can try going windows orb > control panel > Default Programs > After clicking on the default programs tab you'll see a window which should give you options for file associations you could try to make a file association from there.
If you just double left click on that attachment (before trying my suggestion) what happens?

Reaction score
Mychael,

It is located on my external drive in "Pictures"
It is possible that it may have been a .jpg, jpeg, etc.There is no .exe on the end. I guess the attachment didn't upload correctly, or maybe it cannot be attached in its present state. All I can tell you, is that it looks like a blank sheet of paper with fold in the upper-right hand corner of the page.
I will try your suggestion and let you know what happens.

Thanks.

Mimi

Reaction score
If the photo is nothing too personal I can PM you with my email address and you can send it to me to try to open for you.

Mike

Reaction score
If I just double-left click on that attchment, the "open with" list pops up with ppt., Windows Photo View, Adobe Reader, and a few other programs. I'm afraid to try to open this attachment, because I might have the same problem I had last week; all of the icons changing into the one I used in trying to open the file.

Mimi

Reaction score
.ppt is I'm pretty sure a powerpoint presentation file. That would be why you cannot open it with picture viewer programs.

Reaction score
This is the message you sent to me:

"If the photo is nothing too personal I can PM you with my email address and you can send it to me to try to open for you."

Mike

It is just a picture of two toddlers- nothing personal. I hope you know where to e-mail me.

Mimi

Reaction score
I had used Windows Photo Viewr and PowerPoint, and both times the same thing happened; the icons changed to whatever the icon of the program that I tried to use in opening a similar file with the blank page symbol.

Mimi

Reaction score
I've sent you a Pm (private message) with my email address.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Probably what happens is when you try to open the file with those programs you have missed the small checkbox that designates the program you choose as the future default application for the file type. Uncheck that box each time you choose a different application, and your icons should remain the way you like 'em.

Ask a Question