Office 2007 - can't open documents

Reaction score
Here's a problem I've encountered only today. I'm using Microsoft Office 2007 and been so for over a year now. Today, when I go to open up a file, I get this exciting message, "The Document ..... caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would you like to continue opening it?" This happens with every file I've saved.

When I click on the "yes" - I get another thrilling message saying, "the function you are attempting to run contains macros or content that requires macro language support. When this software was installed, you (or your administrator chose not to install for macros or controls."

I get further instructions to go the Trust Centre and check all macro's with notification. I've tried them all, but nothing is permitting me to open any of my saved documents.

I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium - the problem encountered is a newbie and I'm about ready to hurl myself out through the basement window. I've checked different sites but nothing is giving me help to fix this. Can one (or even two or more) point me in the right direction as to how to overcome this unhappy dilemma. Thanks!!!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I cannot remember if this feature is in 2007, but look along the menu bar. Far right is an icon for macros. Thias allows you to view or record. Try it.

Reaction score
Nothing on the far right regarding macro's. What would you mean by *view or record* --- have you heard of this problem arising before?

Reaction score
I'm sorry if I made the question confusing by asking what I should do with the *View* or *Record* ... permit me to ask it in a more simple manner .... "What should I do with the *Record* or the *View* ............
I anticipate your reply(s) - thanks!!!

Reaction score
Hi Ripsnort, I'm not sure where Dave is coming from with his advice so I wont complicate that, let him explain further.
My suggestion as an interim measure to try opening your files is to get the free download of 'Open Office' if you've never heard of it, it is a free alternative to Windows office.
It will look different of course but don't worry too much about learning all about it, just see if it can open the files you want to see. If it can then it's not a file issue but some settings in your Ms Office.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I apologise for the lack of follow up. I'm a little ill at the moment and bedridden,
But, forget my previous post.
I use 2010, so follow the procedures in there, i do not think there was a great deal of difference, so:
When you installed Office, I think you chose not to install Visual Basic. This is required to reproduce add ins, including Macros. Run the Install Cd again from the "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel, and install VB
After this, it will be neccessary to get rid of your "disabled" files list. To do this:

Click on Office button (top left) in word.
Click on word options button.
Click on Add-ins.
In the Manage box select "Disabled items" and click on Go.

Reaction score
Mychael, thanks for your suggestion. Appreciated. Davehc, here's what I did yesterday. I inserted the Disk and did a Repair. That fixed the problem.
But could follow your directions & install VB. I know when one inserts the Disc into the Drive, it automatically brings up several options. Would one still have to go to the Control Panel to do this? Also, since the Repair fixed yesterday's problem, will there indeed be a "disabled list"?
Hope you're feeling better. Thanks again for your advice.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No. You can carry on from there and just select vb as an extra option.
Maybe the repair did install VB for you but I doubt that. I guess what it did is carried through my suggested procedure.

Regards Dave

Reaction score
I guess Dave, the impossible question might be - what caused this to go off the rails to begin with? Shall I keep the Fire Extinguisher close at hand?

Appreciate your help. Thanks again Dave!!!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ah. Tough question. My guess is that you possibly had been luck anough not to handle any correspondence with Macros until latterly. or you had not had "a serious error"

Ask a Question