OEM vs Retail?

Reaction score
Hello folks, I'm new here, first post actually.

I'm planning a new system build from scratch using hardware and software from newegg. My question is what are the important issues regarding selection of Windows 7 OEM vs Retail? OEM is half the cost but I'm sure there is a reason for that? Some of what I have read is a bit confusing. I'm not particularly concerned with tech support from MS, I use friends, GOOGLE and forums. So why would I want to pay twice as much to buy the Retail version? Just trying to avoid the got-cha's :).

Thanks!
-Stan

Reaction score
Apart from the support - the difference is OEM (System Builder) can only be installed on one machine. You cannot move it to a different machine.

Hope it helps

Reaction score
Thanks SIW2!

So it can't be moved (reinstalled) to another machine....what if I install it on a new build but later determine the mobo is defective and have to replace it. Does that constitute moving it to another machine?

I am trying to imagine other scenario's that might kick it into the definition of "another machine?"

Might it be best to play it safe, buy the retail version just in case? Did my question make sense?

Reaction score
You are allowed to upgrade / repair that machine.
If you replace the mobo after activating - windows will think it is on a different machine.

The answer is:

a) Don't activate till you are sure the mobo is good

and/or

b) Call MS and tell them you had to replace the mobo - many have done that - MS gives you another key. There is a free activation line. They will only do that once.

Ask a Question