NVidia GT220 - blank screen in normal mode

Reaction score
My problem is this: My new computer only runs in safe mode. In normal mode the screen goes blank after the windows logo had formed on the screen. Here is some more explanation of how I tried to fix this problem:

Last week I bought a new computer with AMD Athlon X2 250, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430 Chipset and NVIDIA GT 220 GPU. The computer was tested by the shop and it came with Windows 7 premium 30 day trial version installed.

When I first booted the computer, I could see 'Windows is starting' message and the logo forming up. Then the screen went blank with monitor displaying 'No input signal'. The computer was still running. I started the computer in safe mode and everything worked including internet, videos, etc. However, the Windows Performance Indicators were set to 1.0 for both the graphic card and the game controller. I figured that the graphic card is not properly installed and ran the support disc. Halfway through it showed ‘Stereo sound could not be installed’. The installation finished without any further error message but the screen was still blank in normal mode.

I started the computer in safe mode and installed Windows 7 professional which I purchased together with the computer (legal copy). This worked fine until I rebooted and I had the same problem. I took the graphic card out, rebooted the system, and still no picture. I uninstalled the graphic driver, rebooted and, voila, Windows 7 booted in normal mode. However, it automatically updated the driver ( ATI something) and I had the same problem after a restart.

I downloaded latest driver from Nvidia, tried to run CUDA, rolled back and uninstalled drivers several times, changed between graphic card and onboard graphics, etc. I finally had the GT220 graphic card driver recognised in the device manager, but I can still only boot the system in safe mode.

I am very confused and also annoyed, as this is a brand new machine. The vendor offered to replace the graphic card but I don’t think that will solve the problem. Please help.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi roter-kaiser and welcome to Windows 7 Forums

The vendor offered to replace the graphic card
As your PC is new from a store take it back and tell them you want a replacement (your PC will be under guarantee)

Reaction score
I had the supplier check the hardware and everything works fine. I have since established that the monitor is the culprit.

I tried my new computer with a new monitor and everything is fine. However, if I boot the computer with my old monitor (Fujitsu 17" Sep2005) I get the blank screen. The funny thing is that if I boot the computer with the new monitor (LG 22" Jul2009) and then switch the cable to the old monitor, it works. After a reboot on the old monitor I get the blank screen again.

Since I have only borrowed the new monitor and I don't want to buy one, I would really like to fix this problem. It just doesn't sound logical to me that a monitor should not work with certain OS or hardware setups. I know it has something to do with the refresh rate but I can't put my finger on it.

Reaction score
My problem is this: My new computer only runs in safe mode. In normal mode the screen goes blank after the windows logo had formed on the screen. Here is some more explanation of how I tried to fix this problem:

Last week I bought a new computer with AMD Athlon X2 250, 4GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6100/nForce 430 Chipset and NVIDIA GT 220 GPU. The computer was tested by the shop and it came with Windows 7 premium 30 day trial version installed.

When I first booted the computer, I could see 'Windows is starting' message and the logo forming up. Then the screen went blank with monitor displaying 'No input signal'. The computer was still running. I started the computer in safe mode and everything worked including internet, videos, etc. However, the Windows Performance Indicators were set to 1.0 for both the graphic card and the game controller. I figured that the graphic card is not properly installed and ran the support disc. Halfway through it showed ‘Stereo sound could not be installed’. The installation finished without any further error message but the screen was still blank in normal mode.

I started the computer in safe mode and installed Windows 7 professional which I purchased together with the computer (legal copy). This worked fine until I rebooted and I had the same problem. I took the graphic card out, rebooted the system, and still no picture. I uninstalled the graphic driver, rebooted and, voila, Windows 7 booted in normal mode. However, it automatically updated the driver ( ATI something) and I had the same problem after a restart.

I downloaded latest driver from Nvidia, tried to run CUDA, rolled back and uninstalled drivers several times, changed between graphic card and onboard graphics, etc. I finally had the GT220 graphic card driver recognised in the device manager, but I can still only boot the system in safe mode.

I am very confused and also annoyed, as this is a brand new machine. The vendor offered to replace the graphic card but I don’t think that will solve the problem. Please help.

Try use a higher grade power supply or try to use a single ram chip
one of my friend fixed this problem fixed this problem using the above methods.

Ask a Question