nvidia drivers and wrong windows

Reaction score
Hello:

I have just installed Win7 and installed the latest Nvidia drivers (195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_english_whql.exe), and a number of my boxes/windows are slightly screwed up (last words in one section of a window cut off by the beginning of the next section (below the first).

Has anyone else seen this, and is there anything that can be done?

Regards,

Hans L

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Have you tried an Uninstall and Reinstall? Have you verified you have the correct driver? (since you don't mention your video card, please post what card you have). Have you checked Windows 7 Updates for possible updated drivers for your card?

Reaction score
Hello Draceena,and thanks for your reply.

When I read Uninstall and Reinstall, I break out in a cold sweat. However, since you capitalized the two words, maybe it is just a repair option of kind? (I have spent 2 weeks preparing, installing Win7, and reinstalling my many apps, and resetting settings that were lost in spite of heavy backups.)

My graphics cards are:

NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

Regards,

Hans L

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
What brand of computer are you using? Or, did you build it yourself?

Have you adjusted your screen resolution to match your monitor's native resolution settings?

Have you installed the driver for your monitor? Sometimes that will help.

Give us some more info. Are you using both video cards?

Reaction score
Nibiru, I will check on what you ask, and answer. However, you bring up a very important issue that I have thought about, but not had time to investigate. How can you see if you have installed a particular set of drivers, and where do you find the information.

In C:\Windows\System32\drivers, you find a lot of drivers (all?), but unless you look at Properties –Details for each driver, you do not know from where it comes. Is there one place to look and see if you have, for instance, installed your monitor drivers (Iiyama, in my case).

I'll be bakk!

Regards,

Hans L

Reaction score
Nibiru, I do not think I installed the Iiyama drivers (for monitors ProLite H431S and E431S), because there is no indication that there are drivers for Windows 7 (in Iiyama support: drivers for all monitors). ReadMe files only up to XP.

I have a home-built computer, which has double core CPU, 2.4 GHz, 3 GB RAM, etc.

The screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 for all three monitors (what I had when I used XP).

I am using both video cards, one for H431S & E431S monitors, and the second card (7600) for E431S monitor.

Hope this will elicit some tips :)

Thank you,

Hans L

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hans L, by the way welcome to the forum!

Right click on "Computer" then go to "Properties" left click and go to "Device Manager" on the top left, left click on it and new window will pop up. Click on the item you're curious about and double click it, and then look at the driver tab to see what driver is installed. It will give you the version number and date, etc.

Windows Vista drivers may work for your monitors, many times they'll function just fine as a "Plug N Play" mode.

A handy little free program is SIW or System Info for Windows. It's a stand alone program.

Go here to download it: http://www.gtopala.com/ look for the "english standalone version" toward the bottom right side of the web page. This will give you TONS of data about your system. It's really handy and quick. You might say it has a plethora of info for you to check out. The "Devices" section will give you tons of info about your hardware and the associated drivers. You may have to look close, but it will give driver registry key locations, driver version, driver date, driver name, etc.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Sorry I did not elaborate on Uninstall and Reinstall. You would Open your Control Panel and select Programs and Features. In the list that is shown, there will be many programs listed that you have installed.

To Uninstall Nvidia Drivers you would look for that entry, right-click and select Uninstall. More than likely, you would need to reboot after it finishes. Upon restart your dispaly would most probably not be the same resolution as we just removed your video drivers.

You would then locate the 195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_english_whql.exe that you downloaded (assuming that is the correct driver) and run it. Again, you will most probably need to reboot after it finishes.

At this time you would then check if the problem still presists

Reaction score
Hans L, by the way welcome to the forum!

Right click on "Computer" then go to "Properties" left click and go to "Device Manager" on the top left, left click on it and new window will pop up. Click on the item you're curious about and double click it, and then look at the driver tab to see what driver is installed. It will give you the version number and date, etc.

Windows Vista drivers may work for your monitors, many times they'll function just fine as a "Plug N Play" mode.

A handy little free program is SIW or System Info for Windows. It's a stand alone program.

Go here to download it: http://www.gtopala.com/ look for the "english standalone version" toward the bottom right side of the web page. This will give you TONS of data about your system. It's really handy and quick. You might say it has a plethora of info for you to check out. The "Devices" section will give you tons of info about your hardware and the associated drivers. You may have to look close, but it will give driver registry key locations, driver version, driver date, driver name, etc.
I will do what you suggested, and also download SIW. Using Belarc Advisor now, but I do not find it very good. SIW is probably just what I wanted. (OT: Let me respond with a fabulous program I was made aware of recently, "Everything" (http://everything.software.informer.com/). Searches files and folders (names) lightningly fast.

I may have to wait until tomorrow, because my text search program (dtSearch) is making its first index, and it is taking a looooong time. I do not want to create any new data while it is going on.

Thanks, and I'll be back,

Hans L

Reaction score
You would then locate the 195.62_desktop_win7_winvista_32bit_english_whql.exe that you downloaded (assuming that is the correct driver) and run it. Again, you will most probably need to reboot after it finishes.
I already have these drivers. Sorry ifI was not clear on that.

Hans L

Ask a Question