notebook crashes steadily

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Today, while folding, my notebook crashed, then I restarted it. After 10 or so minutes, it crashed again. I figured it may have to do with the malware infection I had earlier in the week. So I decided to nuke it again (for the 4th time). During the first round, that crashed, there was a message about the processor overheating.

I'm now in the process of restoring the backup, I just don't know what else to do if it keeps crashing, I've kept a fan forcing air underneath it. There are no obstructions that would cause it not to breathe, in fact, I've kept the DVD open and the battery removed while folding to keep it cool. It has done this over and over the last few days.

Other than throwing a Mint disc in and installing that, then installing XP within it to fold, I'm running out of ideas, unless this restore works without problems (doubtful). How else can I keep the processor cool enough to run, stick it in the fridge?

I'm surprised it hasn't crashed during this restore, the left side (top corner) is hot as hell just restoring from another drive. Plus, the restore process is very slow, I've restored this notebook dozens of times (no exaggeration) and it completed faster than this. Is the processor about gone? I have Acronis Drive Monitor installed, according it it, the temps are fine, around 107, although it has risen to 127 on a couple of occasions when three programs were running at once.

Plus, flashing the BIOS has done no good, I've flashed it five times today (once after each crash). So the BIOS has been flashed enough, I believe. I just can't believe this restore is taking so long. If it finishes, I'll shut it down for the night after doing a disc check on each partition, if it has enough backbone left to do that without crashing.

Any suggestions here?

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Folding is extremely processor intensive, this session may be more than your puter can handle, can you skip to a different section?

My other idea was to throw it in the refrigerator but I worry about the moisture, plus you couldn't exactly run a power cord in there, so I wouldn't do that but it is what popped into my head.

Are you running your A/C? Is your place particularly warm today?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I always run the A/C in the summer, plus I failed to mention that the notebook is right by an A/C vent. I've done everything I can think of to keep it cool while it's folding. It's ran virtually non-stop for two months, although I give it an occasional break.

Now, after restoring Win 2K & XP Pro, Macrium is reporting that the Vista backup is corrupt. If it weren't for the warranty, I'd slam it through the wall. I'm not one who loses my cool often, but this notebook is pushing me to the limit.

Reaction score
Do you have any crash dumps to look at? I'd be curious to see what they are saying. Post them if you want if you get further ones...

Instructions are in the sticky thread of the BSOD section.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Finally, I got the thing going again. I noticed that with the Acronis Drive Monitor (a free tool from Acronis) is showing abnormally high drive temps (around 117 on all four OS's). The critical point is over 125, it should be below 107. The fan is working, so I don't see the problem. The DVD is open, the battery removed, what else am I to do? I suppose if the battery was in place, there would be a danger of a fire.

For all of the trouble it's given me tonight, it's going back to folding, hot or no. The BIOS has been flashed five times, so it should be cleaned out. At any rate, it's running now, but how for how long, I don't know.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
These overheating problems...do they still keep happening if you quit folding on the laptop?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
By the way, didn't you mention this computer has some motherboard problems? That could also be the problem.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
These overheating problems...do they still keep happening if you quit folding on the laptop?
Yes, they continue. In fact, all that I'm doing now is a new backup, and the Acronis drive monitor is reporting temps as high as 127, above the critical rating of 125. I now have the unit on some of my granddaughter's blocks (one on each corner), over an A/C vent. The fan is working. Yet with all of this cool air, it still overheats. I've checked the vents, looking for anything in the holes that may obstruct air flow, but have found nothing.

I've wondered about disassembling the notebook, and cleaning everything, but that would be one PITA, and I don't expect a miracle to happen by doing it. And I'm not good with handling those tiny parts that notebooks has. It would do me one great favor by crashing and not restarting at all, I can file for a warranty claim, have my money within a week, and be on my way to get another. From this point forward, all that I'm looking for is problems, having to come in to check to see if it's crashed, so I can resume folding. I'm trying to keep this notebook going to keep the WU's flowing, to help the team.

It's only been this severe for three or so days, and I'm wondering about those "previously used assemblies" that is in the notebook. Dell once had a decent reputation, but piecing together computers and reselling them on eBay as "Dell Recertified" is causing problems for many users, not just me. At least I had enough sense about me to obtain a warranty for it. However, this will make the third Dell that I've filed a claim on, this sure will make me look bad, but I've been burned again, and that's what they're there for, is customer service. They (SquareTrade) emailed me the offer, and they offer fantastic service. So I'll deal with it then.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
By the way, didn't you mention this computer has some motherboard problems? That could also be the problem.
Yes, it does have a history of MOBO problems, this can be verified through Wikipedia, just enter "Dell Latitude", and you'll have to read through the article, you'll find the MOBO issue that's dogged them.

Reaction score
Finally, I got the thing going again. I noticed that with the Acronis Drive Monitor (a free tool from Acronis) is showing abnormally high drive temps (around 117 on all four OS's). The critical point is over 125, it should be below 107. The fan is working, so I don't see the problem. The DVD is open, the battery removed, what else am I to do? I suppose if the battery was in place, there would be a danger of a fire.

For all of the trouble it's given me tonight, it's going back to folding, hot or no. The BIOS has been flashed five times, so it should be cleaned out. At any rate, it's running now, but how for how long, I don't know.

Ya know I hate to do something to make myself look stupid, but sometimes a man's just gotta do what a man's gotta do........:D:D......

What the hell is "folding" ?? :D

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
FOLDING is processor intensive research so they developed skynet (ie distributed processing) to have computers around the world do research until the system finally becomes self-aware and destroys the human race unless John Connor can stop them. Veedaz's 5890 will be sent back in time to kill Sarah Connor's 23" LCD monitor and she will have to barrow Nibs 22" LED monitor so she can continue sexting a guy online until he finally meets her IRL, otherwise John will never be born and WE are doomed. :p

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I've wondered about disassembling the notebook, and cleaning everything, but that would be one PITA, and I don't expect a miracle to happen by doing it.
You would be surprised how just a little cleaning and dust bunny removal will improve the computer's cooling.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well, it's overheating again, running dirt slow (even during recovering my backup), and during folding, it will get so far, then it becomes corrupted, and starts over.

No matter what I do, even a full virus scan will push the temps past the 125 degree mark (usually around 132-135 degrees). This is way too hot for a hard drive to be running. It only takes about 10 minutes to reach that level.

And, if I've not already stated so, I'm monitoring my drive temps with Acronis Drive Monitor. Acronis is a worldwide leader in computer software.

What I'd like to find is a MOBO temperature monitor, and know what's acceptable for MOBO temps to be, because one time when it crashed, there was a MOBO (CPU) warning. I do know this, the left area on the notebook (above the keyboard) stays VERY hot, and the hard drive area does too.

Can anyone tell me why a program and notebook that once worked fine, now doesn't? It began after the recovery of a very severe virus, and although the virus is long gone, the notebook runs like crap. Could the processor be going bad, after all, that's where the folding activity takes place.

Anyway, this makes the sixth time that I've nuked the drive, and now am recovering my backups once again. Any suggestion at all would be appreciated.

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Have you stopped folding on that computer for a few days and just done normal surfing and email and other less cpu intensive computing? Have you done the cleaning you wanted to do?

It seems like nuking the drive 6 times is overkill. Does it run hot while nuking?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It runs hot no matter what I do, whether I'm folding, running a virus scan, looking at news clips, or generally browsing the net. After 10 or so minutes, the drive warning comes on. And yes, it runs hot while nuking, but that's the only thing that I've done where it doesn't crash on me. It crashes while retrieving my backups, but will nuke all night. Weird acting notebook.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi Cat

You could try SpeedFan this can access many temp sensors within a PC, Its a pain in the a*s performing but a part strip down to clean (eg) CPU fan / heat-sink and air ways can improve cooling many fold.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you stopped folding on that computer for a few days and just done normal surfing and email and other less cpu intensive computing? Have you done the cleaning you wanted to do?

It seems like nuking the drive 6 times is overkill. Does it run hot while nuking?
Wiping the drive clean more than once is overkill. Once it's wiped, it's wiped! Cat - have you opened the notebook up and cleaned it out? Dusted everything and cleaned the CPU heatsink's fins? Have you checked to make sure all the ventilation fans are functioning and clean? I'll bet you 10 lbs. of North Carolina Style pulled pork barbecue that dust, dirt and dried out heatsink compound are your problems here.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
The only thing about me taking it apart, I'm not good at handling all of those little parts, it's under warranty, and should I screw up something, the warranty is down the drain.

Last night, I ran a mem test (the built in one), and as soon as it started scanning, it reported that I had hardware problems, and to consult with the OEM. I have a disc to run a full test on the notebook, and as soon as I see whether this folding job that I'm on completes or not, I'm going to run the test. So any cleaning at this time would be taking a chance of me not getting my money back.

I personally feel that there's multiple problems, and it's a matter of time before I get a refund for it. I mean just running a full virus scan forces overheating, there's problems somewhere. But still, I didn't have these problems before installing Safari for 15 minutes. Something bad happened, I don't know what, but I'm going to run this disc to do a complete test of the system. Good thing that I saved it, I had one just like it, and it came with all OEM reinstall discs, plus this diagnostic CD. It should reveal the root of the problem. It would be interesting to find out why my drive and MOBO gets so hot. And BTW, this notebook has a long history of MOBO heat problems.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Guess what, the notebook finally made it through a folding job! I can't believe it, especially as hot as it was, the temp light practically stayed on the whole time. Honestly, I don't know what made the difference this time, it was a long folding job (especially for it). I'm now in the process of clean installing Win 2K & XP Pro, those two, plus Linux Mint 9, is all I'll run on it from here on out. Vista is too hard on it, and so may be Windows 7. I'm finding my best luck on XP Pro, it crashes too much on Vista & 7.

XP was where I was able to complete a folding job, so I'll go with it. Folding is all that the notebook is hanging around for anyway, when it folds flat on it's face, then it's gone, which probably won't be long anyway. After I get XP installed & updated, I'll place it in a box, and drop it in the freezer for 30 minutes to cool down, then it's back to work again. Mabye it has a few more jobs left in it, after all.

I just want it to be in such bad shape when it makes it to the warranty center, there's no question of repairing it at all. The refund will make a nice downpayment on a quad notebook to work with. Then, I'll be able to rack up some big points for our folding team.

Ask a Question