No sound. Dell Inspiron 1420n

Reaction score
Hi.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420n laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate Beta installed. At first, Windows detected a sound device in my laptop (the built-in speakers), but no sound came out, not even with headphones and not even with trying to install the driver, which could not install. Now, Windows detects no device AT ALL, so still no sound. What should I do?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Try going to device manager and removing the sound device that is there (if there is one at all), and then try installing this driver manually:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R171786.exe

It's for the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio sound card which you have onboard. Hopefully that will do the trick :)

Reaction score
I had the same issue with RTM Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Make sure you install the driver by saving the R171786.exe and run it by right clicking "Troubleshoot Compatibility", choose "Troubleshoot Program", make sure "The Program worked with an earlier version of Windows" is checked, then select "Vista SP2", then "Start the Program" and that should do the trick after a reboot (you should hear the startup sound). With that Dell Inspiron 1420 runs great with Windows 7!

Reaction score
I have installed windows 7 but there is sound
It says that there is no audio device found
what to do
Rajan

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have installed windows 7 but there is sound
It says that there is no audio device found
what to do
Rajan
Hi Rajan, are you using the same Dell Inspiron 1420n system?

Reaction score
Hopsurfer is da man

Hopsurfer's fix did the trick for me. My symptom was that in device manager there were some unknown devices but windows 7 wouldn't detect that there was a sound card that needed a driver. I downloaded R171786 but it said that the device didn't exist so it couldn't install until I went in and selected the setup.exe and folowed hopsurfer's instructions.

"right clicking "Troubleshoot Compatibility", choose "Troubleshoot Program", make sure "The Program worked with an earlier version of Windows" is checked, then select "Vista SP2", then "Start the Program" and that should do the trick after a reboot (you should hear the startup sound)."

Reaction score
Try going to device manager and removing the sound device that is there (if there is one at all), and then try installing this driver manually:

http://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/R171786.exe

It's for the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio sound card which you have onboard. Hopefully that will do the trick :)
OMGaga. I've been searching for ages for the solution to my "NO-SOUND DELL INSPIRON 1420" and you answered it! I don't know how to thank you, But this is one true sincere thing from me...

"SUPER THANKS DUDE! YOU SAVED ME!!!"

Ask a Question