SOLVED No Minidump

Reaction score
I am getting a BSOD every hour but I can't seem to get my either the kernel dump or minidump to work, I've set it up in sysdm.cpl, made sure I've got a pagefile >2GB and the error reporting service is active but still no dumps get written.
Have i missed anything else?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats ok, i figured out that the reason why I wasn't getting any dump files was that the reason I wasn't getting any dumps was the same reason I was getting the BSOD. So I set the dump directory to another HDD and enabled a pagefile on that drive and voila I have dumps to share.

As for the BSOD, I've attached the last 4 minidumps that I got. I think it has something to do with either Windows 7, the MOBO, the SATA 6gbs controller or the actuall SSD itself.
I've run a chkdsk on the SSD and no errors came up same story with MEMtest86.
The weird thing is that it happens exactly 1 hr after I boot up doesn't matter cold or warm start.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Things to try:
1/ Update all the motherboard drivers.http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/#download
2/ Run an offline virus scan: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

2 Dumps point to wininit.exe the other 2 point to csrss.exe which is very unlikely.

After you have done those checks, if you are still getting crashes you might like to try Driver Verifier.

(Borrowed from Zigzag3143 posts)

Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise. Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:
- Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
- Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
- Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
- Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
- Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
- Select "Finish" on the next page.

Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.
If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Reaction score
Ran the offline scan, it came up with nothing. Updated my drivers but still got my hourly BSOD
Heres the dump i got with the verrifier on.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Sorry mate I need a bit more information:

1/ Which drive do you have windows on? SSD or WD Caviar
2/ Is windows on a separate drive than what you boot from? For example you boot from C Drive but windows is on D Drive?
3/ Is the pagefile and minidump set for the Windows drive?
4/ What version of firmware do you have for you motherboard and SSD?

Please make sure that your power setting are set to always on.

Reaction score
1. Windows is on the SSD
2. The SSD is the boot drive
3. No it is set on one of the caviars, It didnt work when it was on the SSD
4. MOBO = 2.00.1201 SSD = 0009

Power is already set at always on.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Your quite a bit back from the latest motherboard BIOS. Are you able to update to the latest? Of course you will need to be careful. There have been many updates to Intel Rapid Storage Technology interface.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z68V_PRO/#download

It is strange as the mini dump seems to be incomplete. When I try to confirm verifier it throws an error. Also I am not seeing verifier catch the problem. Quite strange.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Additionally, see if you can set the only page file to be on the same drive as the mini dump directory.

Reaction score
I can't seem to update my BIOS at the moment, I get an Integrity Check Failed when trying to flash the BIOS. The only page I have is on the same drive as the minidump.
Do you want me to keep verifier running for a few BSODs and see if that will pickup the problem?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Keep verifier on, maybe we can see something.
Have you tried emailing the motherboard company about the problem?

Reaction score
Actually straight after i posted that i looked at the link and realised I have the p8z68-pro gen3 so now its updated, will let you know if it still crashes.

Shintaro

Reaction score
My apologies for the incorrect link.

Let us know how you go.

Reaction score
No dice with the latest BIOS, last 2 dumps with verifier on.
Not your fault that I didn't put it in the system specs :D

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

There is still a problem with the mini dump:
STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0xF4_IOERR_IMAGE_wininit.exe

BUCKET_ID: X64_0xF4_IOERR_IMAGE_wininit.exe
Unfortunately we are reaching the limit of my current knowledge, so there are only a couple of things that I can suggest.
If you change from a minidump to a memory dump, it might catch what is going on. However it is going to be quite a large file, 1Gb or more. If you compress it, it will probably drop to 200Mb. But you would still need to try and upload it to somewhere like www.mediafire.com

Let me know if want to do that.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Remember that the SSD firmware update will probably wipe the SSD.
I would suggest that you back up what ever you want to keep before updating the firmware.

Please let us know how you get on.

Reaction score
Yup SSD firmware was the problem. Left it on overnight not a BSOD in sight.
Thank you for all the help narrowing the problem down:beer:

Ask a Question