SOLVED No Audio via HDMI to TV

Reaction score
I have happily been viewing movies etc from my laptop to my TV via an HDMI cable for the last 2 years. However, I installed Windows 7 and at first I had no audio to my TV via the HDMI cable. I adjusted the settings via the sound icon on the taskbar, playback tab, changing whether the speakers or the Digital Output Device (HDMI), Sigmatel High Definition Audio Codec was the default. Eventually I got it to work.

Today, however it has stopped working again and no matter what changes I make, nothing works. When I right click on the playback device Digital Output Device (HDMI) and choose TEST, I get the message: Failed to play test tone. All sound comes through the laptop speakers.

I went to device manager and checked the driver for the codec and it was up to date. I downloaded all available updates from Windows and my laptops software updates and just now re-installed my sound and video drivers but to no avail.

When I was using Vista, to get the audio all I had to do was plug in the HDMI cable and the sound automatically went through the TV.

Does anyone have any ideas how to solve this?

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you've got it working dezmaas :) Out of interest, what did you do to fix it?

Welcome to the forums BTW :D

Reaction score
Thanks Ian.
Someone from another forum found the solution. Apparently I had the correct drivers installed but somehow they didn't work. We uninstalled them and automatically found new ones on the web and hey presto!

Ask a Question