Network Share Blocked by Policy or Permissions ?

Reaction score
Can somebody help me resolve this LAN connection issue:

On my Mac (10.13.4 High Sierra), I am running VMWare 8.5.10. In the VM, I am running Win7 Home Premium 64-bit using WORKGROUP, and I see my Win7 computer name as WIN-RPMDxxxxxxx. Everything works fine between the Mac Host and the Guest Win7 on the VM, except for one custom-written written application by a third party called TriTech.

In the Win7 VM, I can use Windows Explorer to access all the host (Mac) files and folders shown as "Shared Folders (\\vmware-host)(Z:)" and file transfers work both ways via the Z drive. From the VM, all classic Win applications work fine with the Z drive.

However, a custom-written Windows program from TriTech, called "BackupEssentials.exe" (running in Win7) is able to access and back up the shared folders on the C drive in the VM correctly to the TriTech server, but it always wants a log-in password when trying to connect to the Z drive on the host (Mac) file system. VM is sharing the files correctly, because all classic Win programs can work through Z. I have requested assistance from TriTech (who wrote the BackupEssentials program) but they seem to be unable to help. It seems like BackupEssentials is using some non-standard or extra-secure or "tricky" method of accessing shared folders on the local network.

When selecting which folders to include in a "backup set", BackupEssentials provides a dialog box to select the shared folders, but entering Z: in the dialog box does not give any response, however, when the share name is entered as "\\vmware-host\." then it attempts connection, shows the VM computer name and user account and waits for a password, indicating that if found the host computer correctly. Entering an incorrect password gets no response, but when the correct password is entered, it comes back with an error message "Failed to connect to the remote share". Repeating the same process just repeats the failure. It looks like Win7 security is blocking access to the vmware-host file system.

I have run the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) program (from Win7) and changed the "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" to select "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated" (as recommended in another post on this forum), but that did not resolve the issue because I still cannot get connected to the remote share. Perhaps I need to change some other settings?

Can somebody please suggest some other things for me to try? I need to get the TriTech BackupEssentials program working with both the C and Z drives.

Thanks from Garry Anderson.

Ask a Question