SOLVED Need recommendation for new 1000-1200 watt modular psu.

Reaction score
I need some recommendations for a 1000-1200 watt single rail modular psu. I'm going to be getting it in November for a 2nd HIS Digital IceQ X Turbo X HD6950 2.0gb. video card for Crossfire. I'm going to be getting the 2nd video card in December.

Reaction score
You know you only need roughly 850W for two 6950s or 6970s, right? You don't need 1200W until you start running 3 or 4 GPUs. This is because the 6950 is a 225W card, and the 6970 is a 300W card, meaning two of them are only 450-600W, and 850W is plenty enough juice to run the rest.

That said, the 1250W OCZ ZX and the Corsair AX 1200 are the best contenders in this market.

Reaction score
Actually it's 950 watt's according to HIS's site for my card. It's factory overclocked. That's why I'm going a little bit higher to play it safe in the future. I'm eventually going to upgrade to a 990FX mobo and Bulldozer cpu after they've been out a while. I'm also going to be getting the Corsair SP2500 speaker's after new year's, so I may also get a Xfi sound card down the road. I like the Corsair TX750 I have now, so mre than likely I'll stick with them.

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
I would highly suggest the Corsair AX series... JonnyGuru knows his PSU stuff, and the AX series got one of the best recommendations from him for build quality and electrical performance. It's also 80+ Gold efficiency rated.

They only have AX850 and AX1200 options for the wattage range you are looking for, so that may simplify things. I'd suggest consulting JonnyGuru's site before purchasing any other brand (especially OCZ).

Reaction score
Yeah, the AX1200 is the one I'm most likely getting. OCZ's is less money, but the warranty is 5 years. OCZ $230, Corsair $280 with 7 year warranty and a few more connectors. My original TX750 psu had to be replaced due to a bad mobo shorting it and a video card out. Corsair replaced it without any headache's. Therefore they get a A+ from me for support/backing there product's. Plus, who's to say OCZ isn't going to kill off the psu's selling down the road. Like they did with the ram. Thrax and Kougar.

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
It's not likely OCZ will get out of the PSU business... remember they bought PC Power & Cooling, which until then had been rather highly regarded. I bought one of their "OCZ" refresh units and while it works fine, I regretted it after seeing JonnyGuru tear into one. The build quality and electrical quality just aren't there for the price.

Reaction score
Thanks Nibs. Will take a look at it.P.S. Nibs. While I got you here. My Tempeset EVO case has a 120mm. rear exhaust fan. Down the road I eventually want to get a all-in-one water cooling syste. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Reaction score
Thanks Clifford. I still have to look into how you setup the push-pull on the all-in-one's I'd assume I can use my Tempest EVO's rear fan with the all-in-ones fan for the push pull effect, as it's an after market fan. So, basically I'll have to figure out whether the EVO's rear fan get's put in. in the direction it's currently at or flipped over. I do know that the H50 or H80's fan is the the one that goes in first and then I need to get longer bolt's to accomadate the EVO's fan on top of the H50 or H80's fan. That H100 would work in my case, but my case's top fan's are kind of hard to get to.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have heard very good reviews regarding the CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler.

The square plate mount is considered far superior to the rounded one for ease of install and quality of finish.

Here's a review from Hardware Canucks website.

Reaction score
I think I may get the H80. It already comes with 2 fans for push-pull setup.

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that none of the all-in-one watercooling systems perform any better for any less money than a good air cooler. The water coolers should only be explored if you cannot tolerate the volume of low-RPM/140mm fans.

The Thermaltake Frio OCK, Prolimatech Genesis, Thermalright Arrow and Noctua NH-D14 outperform the H80 for the same price or, in some cases, less dough.

Reaction score
Noise isn't a issue. Out of the 8 fans in my pc(including video card & heat sink), I can only here the cases 2 front hard drive fans. I've just heard the water coolers run a few degrees cooler than the non-water cooled heat sinks. Where I live that's a plus, especially when the lanlord doesn't fix the a/c. It's still in the high 90's where I'm at.

Ask a Question