SOLVED Need New Win 7 Driver.

Reaction score
Hi I changed my Hdd for A 500 gb SSD at the same time I decided to change the OS. I was using win 8.1 i now want to use win 7. My machine is an HP Envy17-J184NA the HP support offered a driver which did not work. So I was hoping someone could help me out with this problem. The win 8 driver will not work.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you need a driver for the SSD you should look to the manufacturer of that solid state drive because W7 did not include native support for them. As for other drivers for your HP hardware, if HP does not offer W7 drivers for it then they likely do not exist & you likely will not be able to run W7 or may not have functionality in some of your hardware.

Note: If you are doing a fresh W7 install you have to go to advanced options and start the SSD driver so W7 can even see the drive to install there.

Reaction score
Hi thanks for your response. I checked the compatabilty for the ssd before I loaded win 7 it was fine. Hp support does a windows seven driver for my model but is the wrong one. in Win 8 the wifi driver is broadcom but for seven it offers realtek or atheros niether work.
I had a similar problem with an earlier HP laptop I was told to try the website for the driver. Broadcom site are asking for payment to access the site. That got my back up soI asked on the forum. Again thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It looks like they used 3 different Wi-Fi cards in that model & unfortunately you have the Broadcom version for which HP does not list a W7 version driver and so, probably does not exist, even if you were willing to pay Broadcom for it.

Backwards compatibility is never a given, especially going back 2 OS versions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi I have managed to update the driver to broadcom through windows update. I reinstalled the version from my wifes HP win seven version the laptop is seven years older than mine. it now works thanks for all your trouble.

Ask a Question