Need help with overclocking computer I just built

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm somewhat new to the forum. I was wondering if anyone could help me with overclocking my newly built computer ? My parts are as follows :
1. NZXT Tempest EVO case
2. AMD Phenom 2 965 BE 125W TDP cpu
3. ECS A790GXM-A ver. 1.0 AM2+ motherboard
4. Zalman CNPS 9900ALED heatsink
5. Crucial Ballistix PC6400 DDR 2 r.a.m. 4 x 2gb. sticks
6 .Corsair TX750W p.s.u.
7. 2 Samsung SH-S223C DVD-RW's
8. XFX HD5770 1.0 gb. video card
9. Hauppage WinTV HVR-1850 t.v. tuner
10 .2 Western Digital Cavair Black 1.0 tb. SATA 3 hard drives ( only one works. 2nd one being RMA'd back to NewEgg)

I'd rather do the overclocking through the bios, but I don't know which settings to modify. The bios is Amrica Megatrends, Inc. #080015 date 07/14/2009.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
P.S. TorrentG all drivers are updated per Driver Agent.
I'm also running Zone Alarm free Firewall, Security Essentials, Spybot Search & Destroy, SUPERAntiSpyware free, WinPatrol Plus and ThreatFire for security applications.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
First of all:
I'm also running Zone Alarm free Firewall, Security Essentials, Spybot Search & Destroy, SUPERAntiSpyware free, WinPatrol Plus and ThreatFire for security applications.
I THINK you have enough security now! LOL!

Consult your ECS motherboard manual is should give you some there if not, overclocking the CPU is done by changing the CPU's frequency multiplier or frequency or both. I'm not that familiar with AMD overclocking, now if it was an Intel Core 2 Duo, no problemo!

I am sure others here will give you a hand.

Reaction score
Overclocking is simple, but time consuming.

All it is, is really tweaking the heck out the bios to find the highest levels the memory and cpu will work at without bsods. And also what voltages may be needed to sustain the overclocks.

No need for any of those stress test softwares. This is not a critical machine that NASA is using to keep track of a mission.

Simple rule: Use the machine as you always have and will. If no bsod, your machine is overclocked well. If even one bsod is caused by the overclock, lower the overclock. Rinse/repeat.

Make sure you start with a complete stable system to begin with. Learn how to use the jumper on the motherboard to reset the bios to defaults. Any overclocker finding limits will need this.

Reaction score
TorrentG: Exactly which memory and cpu settings should I tweak ? Should I run AMD Overdrive in Windows first, then apply those settings to the bios? If so, what do I need to disable temporarily in Windows to run Overdrive properly ? Thanks for your help and a quick response.
Overclocking is simple, but time consuming.

All it is, is really tweaking the heck out the bios to find the highest levels the memory and cpu will work at without bsods. And also what voltages may be needed to sustain the overclocks.

No need for any of those stress test softwares. This is not a critical machine that NASA is using to keep track of a mission.

Simple rule: Use the machine as you always have and will. If no bsod, your machine is overclocked well. If even one bsod is caused by the overclock, lower the overclock. Rinse/repeat.

Make sure you start with a complete stable system to begin with. Learn how to use the jumper on the motherboard to reset the bios to defaults. Any overclocker finding limits will need this.

Reaction score
No, uninstall AMD Overdrive as it's likely to cause bsod issues all on its own, without even overclocking at all.

Use the bios settings to do all tweaks. You'd have to check your motherboard manual if you aren't sure what the settings are or what they do.

You'll want to start with raising the memory frequency, which in turn, will overclock the cpu. As you get higher, it will become more necessary to also raise the VDIMM and VCore voltages.

You can relax (raise) memory timings slightly if necessary also. It's all trial and error tweaks...like I said, time consuming.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks TorrentG will do tonight.
No, uninstall AMD Overdrive as it's likely to cause bsod issues all on its own, without even overclocking at all.

Use the bios settings to do all tweaks. You'd have to check your motherboard manual if you aren't sure what the settings are or what they do.

You'll want to start with raising the memory frequency, which in turn, will overclock the cpu. As you get higher, it will become more necessary to also raise the VDIMM and VCore voltages.

You can relax (raise) memory timings slightly if necessary also. It's all trial and error tweaks...like I said, time consuming.

Ask a Question