SOLVED Need help mapping (directing?) all new programs/my documents to new drive

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a situation where I am using a 60 Gig SSD as my main OS drive and I'm 30 gigs into it after the install and Anti Virus and a few programs. I haven't even gotten to Steam and my prized list of video games. :)

I would actually like to map my "documents" and also any new programs whatsoever to install to a 1 TB drive (half of which I have cleanly partitioned off already). How do I get everything from this point prospectively to install to this new partition?

Can someone explain this to me like I am a 5 year old please? I've reviewed other forums and even watched youtube tutorial and tried it and it didn't work. I cannot fine an easy way to do this. Anyone have a step by step that they would recommend or something? It seems I should have done this from the "get go" when I installed the OS, or it now takes an act of congress. Figured I'd come to the gurus (shameless butter up).

Thanks.

Reaction score
1. click on the Start orb, 2. Click on your username on the top right side. 3.Double-click on Computer, then double-click on the drive you want to move the files to and click on create new folder. Make a folder for Contacts, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos.4. Now in your username folder right-click on each of the folders (Contacts, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Saved Games, Searches and Videos), select Location, click on Move, browse to the drive you created the new folder for each one and click on Select Folder and Apply. Give it a few minutes for each folder. as all the information will get moved from the ssd to the mechanical hard drive. As far as moving other programs, etc. somebody else will have to help you on that on. My ssd is 120GB., so all my programs fit on it fine. P.S. By moving what I told you to move, if you ever have to re-install Windows, all your personal data will still be intact. All you'll have to do is re-install your program's and make any customization's that you desire.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You might try this instead because it's a little easier. First, no matter which way you decide to move them, I recommend creating a folder on your other drive (I will call it D: ) and name it your userid (If you ever need to share all your data or if you ever need to apply tighter permissions then it's nice to have it all under a single folder rather than hanging off the root). Now go into C:\Users\userid and simply drag and drop your data folders from this drive to folder D:\userid while holding down the shift key. The default is to copy which will not fix the library pointers or the registry so be sure to hold the shift key (it should say MOVE, not COPY).

For me personally I know my contacts rarely change so mine would be fine on the SSD. I would only move Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, and Videos (and maybe Saved Games). Now I don't have an SSD so I don't know, maybe it is recommended to move it off the SSD because of how often search indexes are updated? but if not then I would rather have my searches on the fastest drive possible because that seems to take the longest of anything I do.

Also you mention programs. I, personally, would leave normal program installs go to your SSD but if you feel some use a lot of space you can simply use the custom install to point them to D:\. What you might want to do is create a D:\Games and when you install games you custom install them under there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the replies. Should we discuss further? Is the 2nd one easier? I haven't done anything yet. This is a brand new install so I have almost nothing in the "my document" folders yet. I guess I'm really concerned about the 64 Gig SSD because I know my Steam Folder literally has 100 Gigs worth of games.

Like when I go to Steam, it's automatically going to install on the C: drive I'm fairly certain.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Almost every program has an advanced option where you can change the drive and folder path. Steam has that ability as well according to THIS.

Reaction score
Almost every program has an advanced option where you can change the drive and folder path. Steam has that ability as well according to THIS.
Interesting. That tells how to move it, not how to install on a different drive to begin with. I can't recall whether or not they give you an option right off the bat to install to a different drive as opposed to the default c:user/....

Maybe I'll try what you recommend in the first response and then hope that Steam gives the option right away (to save myself the headache of moving).

Thanks.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
But it does make mention that it is possible to change it on the install which, as I mentioned, is true of almost every program.

Usually you will see a folder where it says it will install the program but there is a browse button or an advanced button or a custom install option that allows you to change it.

Reaction score
Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks, Trainable. I'm pretty much where I want to be at this point.

Ask a Question