Need help getting rid of Homegroup desktop icon

Reaction score
This is weird. I upgraded SUPERAntiSpyware's definition's and restarted my computer. Now I have a Homegroup icon on my desktop that won't let me delete it. I didn't put it there and I'm the only user.

Attachments

Reaction score
Do you not have these options?

Right click and select delete.
Sometimes you will have the option to remove icon from desktop.

Reaction score
Clifford. There wasn't a Delete option when I right-clicked on the icon. After I posted the issue I booted into Safe Mode. The icon didn'tappear in Safe Mode. I ran a full scan with SUPERAntiSpyware and it found and removed some adware. I then ran a full scan with Malwarebytes free. It came up clean. I rebooted and the icon's gone. It would seem, whatever adware SUPERAntiSpyware found put it there.

Red

Reaction score
To remove the Homegroup icon from the desktop without going through the registry, follow the steps below.

1. First click on the Start Menu

2. Type the word “services” in the Search dialog and choose the listing with icon that looks like a gear next to it.

3. You should have your “Services (Local)” window open now listing all services on your computer, running or not.

4. Find HomeGroup Listener and HomeGroup Provider and do the following;

Double Click to open the Properties,

Find “Startup type:” on the “General” tab and change the selection to “Disabled” by clicking the drop-down

menu and selecting it,

Then find the “Service status:” and click on the “Stop” button,

Once the service has stopped, click “Apply” first and then the “OK” to complete the action,

Repeat these steps with “HomeGroup Provider” to stop both services.

The “HomeGroup” icon should now be removed from your Desktop.

Reaction score
I solved this a while back. I marked it as solved. Anyway the icon popped up do to malware, that SUPERAntiSpyware found and removed.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi Red, welcome to the forums.
Good idea to check the last date of posts. This one is over 6 weeks old and marked as solved..

I corrected 6 months to six weeks, as a result of a reminder from TM.
Fwiw. Still an old thread. I have a different date format where I live from the norm. This gets self corrected on the web and sometimes I transpose dmonth and day without thought!

Last edited:

Ask a Question