SOLVED Need help configuring Xbox 360 with Netgear WNDR3700

Reaction score
I just recieved a Xbox 360 S 250 gb. I ordered from Newegg today and could use some help configuring it to communicate with my Netgear WNDR3700 router and Windows 7 computer. Planning on using it as an extender in Media Center. All help is greatly appreciated. P.S. The Xbox works, I've already ran non-networking setup and played one of the games that came with it.

Reaction score
Netgear WNDR3700 & Xbox 360 S 250 gb. help needed

On Tuesday I recieved a Xbox 360 S 250 gb. Holiday Bundle that I ordered from Newegg. It came with 3 games, 1 which I have to download. After waiting over 5 hours for the download of Alan Wake to only be 20 0/0 finished I neede to go to bed and unhook my tv and the Xbox 360 and put them back in the living room where they go. I had the Xbox hard wired to my router, as I don't have any wireless adaptor's. Which wireless adaptor should I get for the Xbox 360 that is compatible with my Netgear WNDR3700 router ? Thnak's in advance for anyone's help with this.

Reaction score
Thanks TrainableMan. I searched on Newegg's site after posting and found a dual-bank Microsoft one. Funny thing is the new Xbox 360 Slim's aren't suppose to need an adaptor. Do I need one for my Netgear WNDR3700 router, too ? The router and networking gaming system's are new to me. I've got my APC BackUPS ES750 hard wired to my 2wire DSL modem and it's hard wired to the router and pc 3room's from where Xbox and hdtv are..

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your Xbox already has wireless connectivity then you simply need to enable it with the proper security and make sure your Netgear isn't blocking it (Do you have mac addressing enabled in your router? If so then you need the mac address of the xbox added to the list).

Your UPS is simply adding surge protection to the line so if the UPS connection is phone line then your phone should go into the UPS and then into your ADSL modem. If your UPS connection is network cable then the phone line goes into your ADSL modem then the cable runs to the UPS. Then the cable out runs to your wireless router. Finally your computer(s)/xbox are connected wired or wirelessly to the router.

Also your ADSL modem and your wireless router power cords should be plugged into your UPS in a powered plug along with your computer and monitor. Printers would go in the surge only plug.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if I do or don't. That's my first router and the only thing I changed in it is using Google's faster DNS server instead of AT&T's.

Reaction score
I just enabled the MAC address on my router's setup page. Other than setting it up in the Xbox, is there anything else I need to change on the router's setup page ? This is my 1st time setting up or dealing with a router. Also, the only things in my network is this pc and the Xbox.
If your Xbox already has wireless connectivity then you simply need to enable it with the proper security and make sure your Netgear isn't blocking it (Do you have mac addressing enabled in your router? If so then you need the mac address of the xbox added to the list).

Your UPS is simply adding surge protection to the line so if the UPS connection is phone line then your phone should go into the UPS and then into your ADSL modem. If your UPS connection is network cable then the phone line goes into your ADSL modem then the cable runs to the UPS. Then the cable out runs to your wireless router. Finally your computer(s)/xbox are connected wired or wirelessly to the router.

Also your ADSL modem and your wireless router power cords should be plugged into your UPS in a powered plug along with your computer and monitor. Printers would go in the surge only plug.

Reaction score
SOLVED, Connection wise.I've got it up and running wirelessly. Are there any router settings I need to change. My network is this pc and the Xbox ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes your network is the PC and the Xbox, if you enabled mac addressing then both of those units mac addresses should be allowed in your router. Also if you have a smartphone that uses wi-fi when available then you will want to allow it's mac address as well.

Please note, I was not telling you to enable mac addressing, simply asking if you had. Mac addressing adds security to your router because then only computers with the addresses specified may use your router (helps keep the neighbors from using your bandwidth). You still also need to be using encrypted transmissions, WPA-2 level is recommended. (WEP is far too easy to crack) But with WPA-2 and mac addressing your network will be safe from the average neighbor, so if you have it on and all your devices can still connect to the internet then your network is set up in good shape.

Reaction score
Apparently enabling the MAC address i router setup page solved the connection problem. The security settings on that page are set as WPA-PSK (TKIP) +WPA-PSK2(AES). Is that last part ok ? The other available options in that section are :WPA2-PSK [AES] orWPA/WPA2 Enterprise.The Guest Network is set to the same settings under wireless also. The router settings are clueless to me as I'm new at that portion of computing.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
WPA2-PSK is newer, stronger but the network adapters in any wireless devices must support it if you are to use it. I would try WPA2-PSK and see if you can still get it to work but if not then fall back to WPA (1) which you said is working.

Reaction score
The newer settings appeaar to work with the Xbox. It's been downloading the Alan Wake downloadable game that came with it for a few hours now. Also, Netgear had a new firmware update for the router that wasn't there Tuesday or Wednesday.

Ask a Question