Need help burning Win 7 ISO

Reaction score
I have two computers. Both run Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 with the latest updates, one 32 bit and one 64 bit. Neither came with Windows installation discs so I decided to burn my own. Everything I've done has been on the 64 bit computer as the other one doesn't have a burner.

From msft.digitalrivercontent.net I downloaded the ISO files (X17-24208.iso for the 32 bit and X17-24209.iso for the 64 bit) and Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool, the recommended burner software.

Burned the 32 bit disc. Checked it by putting it in the 64 bit machine and selecting "Run startup.exe". It seemed to run OK and I exited it at the "Install Now" screen.

When I tried to burn the 64 bit disc, the Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool said "The selected file is not a valid ISO file." So, I downloaded the ISO file again and got the same results. I then downloaded X17-58997.iso which is the same thing from a different location on the MS site. Again, got "The selected file is not a valid ISO file." message.

Next, I tried burning using Windows Disc Image Burner. This worked but when I put the DVD in the 64 bit machine and selected "Run startup.exe" I got an error message: "Setup.exe - Bad Image E:\Sources\SPWIZENG.DLL is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." (E:\ is my DVD Drive) I got this result with each of the two 64 bit ISO files.

I Unpacked the ISO files on my HD and compared them to those on the DVD I burned. File structure and file sizes are identical.

Reaction score
It probably did not finish downloading properly, the size for Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit should be 3.09 GB

Pre SP1 should be 3 GB

Last edited:

Ask a Question