SOLVED My mouse is shot!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
A week or so ago, I called HP Support over my mouse that has been acting up for the last month. It has constantly double clicked (or sticking) and when I try to check (or uncheck) something, it does the opposite. A big PITA for me.

At first, HP had it fixed, but the problem has returned, and worse. What really gets me, is the HP tech man went through all of this trouble, taking my computer over remotely to correct this problem, over a less than $20 mouse. Not to mention over an hour of my time. Now, when I try to click (for example) the "quick links" on the forum, they appear, then disappear.

Well, I'm not fooling with HP support on this matter any longer. Yesterday (Thursday), I bought a Logitech B100 wired mouse (OEM) for $15. Not a fancy one, but at least it has a three year warranty if something should go wrong. Originally, I wanted a combo mouse/keyboard set, but the prices were high for the good ones, and my keyboard is fine anyway. All of the "premium" ones that's designed for comfort is for right handers, or the ones on Newegg are anyway.

Anyway, my mouse will arrive on Monday, I'll be glad not to have to put up with this piece of crap any longer.

And a closing note, if you're having problems with a mouse, you're wasting your time to call HP, they put you through the wringer, to save themselves a few bucks, only to cause you problems later. Go ahead and buy a new one and get it over with.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would waste their time over a $3-5 mouse to begin with.

ALL OEM mice and keyboards are total junk in most systems unless one specifies better peripherals.

Good to see you purchased a Logitech, you'll like it. I had a Logitech Trackman Wheel for over 7 years before I decided to replace it with a wireless Trackman Wheel. The unit performed perfectly but the paint finish was starting to peel off the body and it was looking a little worn to say the least. So for Father's Day I bought myself one.

P.S.
The Logitech site shows the B100 priced at $8.99. Did the $15 include the shipping fees? I certainly hope so.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well, if my keyboard does the same as my mouse has, I'll get another one of those, too. Newegg has several Logitech keyboards to choose from, without breaking the bank.

I suppose this is one more reason that my next computer will be home built. Too much of today's products are throwaway junk, made with the cheapest materials available to them (the OEM's of the fine junk that we buy).

The cheapest CPU, hard drive, RAM, keyboard/mouse, MOBO, and on and on. If I can make this one last through the next version of Windows, it'll be the last mass produced one that I own.

Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I don't use the OEM mice at all. When I got the Gateway, it was a wired mouse, so I didn't bother. When I got the HP, it was once again a wired mouse. No thanks... Who the hell uses wired mice in this day and age?

I usually buy Logitech. I had a Microsoft mouse for a short while, but as is typical for their hardware, it was garbage. I've an LX8 now and am very, very happy with it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I use a Logitech G15 keyboard; I love the backlit keys for using it in a darkened room. For a mouse I still use my Logitech Trackman wheel marble. I tried their newer trackballs but they changed the layout so that their isn't a 3rd finger rest for the center wheel and the positioning of the ball so it doesn't meet up where I like it on my thumb; I hated it enough that I sent it back.

Reaction score
I don't like batteries period, especially with something that is not really portable.

Reaction score
Yeah, i've stuck with a mouse with a "tail". My Thermaltake mouse is so old now the printing is wearing off. The only reason I replaced the keyboard is 'cos i broke of the volume control wheel once when I was cleaning it.
I never eat or drink over the keyboard and keep it covered with a towel when not in use to keep some of the dust out of it.
I've only ever had one keyboard die in action on me. Even the old wheel mice I kept operational by removing their balls (ouch) given them a quick clean and polish and put them back in.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I wanted one of those "wireless mice", but the prices were up there (at least for Logitech). And most said on the package that they were for whatever version of Mac & up, and Windows XP & up. None of them (on the package) said anything about supporting Linux, the so called salespeople didn't know (a very common thing these days), so I came home empty handed. Having a mouse that works with Linux is a requirement for me.

Went to Newegg, found the Logitech B100, which was reported to be an OEM replacement, so I figured I couldn't go wrong, especially with it's good name combined with a full three year warranty.

I mean, I thought a mouse was just that, a mouse, and that any of them would work with all OS's & computers. According to the package labels, I was proven wrong on that. But the main problem with making a selection, I've already stated. Retail sales floor staff should know something about what they're selling, especially in an office store (Office Depot). Many of their customers are buying products for work, as well as home, and someone ought to know what the hell is going on. A mouse is not an optional accessory, it is a required part for the user to operate their computer.

I even carried mine with me, in case it was needed for cross reference to look up a comparable product. No one knew what to do.

So I came back home, went to searching on Newegg, and found the one that I bought. The next time I need something, I won't rely on a office store to assist me. Fortunately, I don't run a business, and my computer isn't needed for work or school.

Cat

Reaction score
There are so many different brands/types of computers and hardware it's unrealisitic to expect sales staff from a multi item retail store to know about them all but I'd expect better from a dedicated computer store.
Having said that many "experts" get on the bandwagon banking on the fact that xx% of users are windows users, I've spoken with so called PC repair shops that did not even know of the existence of an O/S called Linux!!.
Most basic mouse and keyboards will work on any type of O/S without dramas but if they have any special functions then they might not, if they come with a driver disk and some do then that should tell you something and you need to be sure it's compatible with your O/S.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Yes, that was my issue. I didn't go to Wal Mart, I went to an office store, whose sales staff should have known a little about my needs. I carried my defective mouse, computer make & model #, you'd think someone would know what's going on. The advice finally given to me was to contact HP to get a list of replacement mice, and come back.

I can only take it that these "salespeople" (for lack of better words) aren't working on commission. If they were, they'd be more eager to help. Other than advising me to contact HP, someone suggested to buy a can of air to blow out the mouse. But I'd already done that, a couple of weeks ago, and except making my hand very cold, accomplished nothing with it.

Cat

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I wanted one of those "wireless mice", but the prices were up there (at least for Logitech). And most said on the package that they were for whatever version of Mac & up, and Windows XP & up. None of them (on the package) said anything about supporting Linux, the so called salespeople didn't know (a very common thing these days), so I came home empty handed. Having a mouse that works with Linux is a requirement for me.
Just about all mice work in Linux, whether they're corded, wireless, etc., there are a few which don't, but those are very few and not common at all.

I have never had an issue with my wireless Logitech with Linux.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
They don't have to specify Linux, they all work.
That's what the sales staff should have told me. Had they had a cross reference manual (or online one), it would have saved me time & money.

It doesn't matter now, I just checked, my new mouse will be delivered in the morning. And hopefully, I'll be one happy camper. All of this unintentional double clicking is really nerve wracking, can you just imagine three Firefox browsers opening at the same time? A PITA.

Cat

Reaction score
Mouse

Mouse selection is a personal preference. I have several I use for different purposes. The Logitechs seem to be the best. I have one set that includes the wireless keyboard and have never been happier. I even have a trackball for other uses.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
CALDGARGAN, welcome to the forum! You're correct, it's a personal preference, but when shopping for one the first time, a little help from the salesforce would be great. Until a year ago, from 2000 through Nov 2009, all that I had were notebooks, so mice was of little concern to me.

But I usually try to by brand name parts when I can, and Logitech was suggested to me, by one who has made other suggestions that worked out for me. There were more expensive models, but nearing Christmas, funds are tight around here. The one that I bought was $11.99, plus $2.99 shipping. Not bad for a product with a three year warranty.

It said "OEM" in the description, but I can only assume that it means it's a compatible replacement mouse if you want one that meets the specs of most computers, and perhaps the packaging is not that of a retail bought one. Whatever it means, as long as it works, it's good with me.

I hope that you find the forum a good place to learn Windows 7, as I've learned a lot here myself. There are many tutorials on the site, as well as a recently created Free Software Database, an offering of many good, proven, essential products that we all use (or can use) on a daily basis.

Best of Luck,
Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My new mouse arrived this morning, and all that I had to do was plug it in and go. Didn't even have to update anything for it to work, and when I did check for updates, the only one was for an MSE update.

The Logitech mouse has a better feel to it than my HP one did when the computer came out of the box. And the wheel isn't wobbly like the other one, either.

Why a large OEM such as HP can't even place a $15 premium mouse with their computers (even their budget models) really beats me. They could have bought a truckload for less than half of my cost per mouse.

Anyway, now I see why I got it so cheap, it was made for Vista, but it is a business class one. Newegg probably has a ton of them, and marked them down to move them out. If anyone is looking for a good one, for a low price, go to Newegg and type in "Logitech B100 mouse". They probably still have plenty.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's way too basic. I suppose it's difficult being left-handed but for me I would, at a minimum, want a tilt scroll wheel (the wheel does up and down, tilting it does right and left). Example Logitech Lx3 or Microsoft Comfort 3000/4000/5000.

Or go cordless with the available left-handed version of the Logitech MX610

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah ,us lefties have to adapt. I have more dexterity useing a mouse with my right hand then I would with me left.
Off topic a bit but even today there is huge discrimination for left handers. Power tools being a good example.. Sure you can buy some left hand specific items but at a premuim.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I suppose that I don't mind the basic mouse because it's all that I ever knew. As I've said, all of my computers until last year were notebooks, or what many calls laptops. With them, a mouse as a desktop user has is not needed, although it's an option to add one. Many of the notebook users that I know who are gamers has mice, usually one of those fancy ones with a comfort grip.

I just used the standard notebook one, and I had a couple that had one where the "G,H & B" keys meet. It was more or less a pointer.

But as far as a mouse goes, many people work behind a computer all day with a basic wired mouse, although better than the stock one that I originally had. Probably something like the Logitech that I bought. If it's guaranteed for three years, it must be tough, because I've seen far more expensive ones (by Logitech) that carried a two year warranty, rather than three. They were the wireless ones, and judging by the number that I seen on the shelves, they must surely be popular. There were all kinds of colors, designs, and even some neon ones.

I guess it's all in what you're used to.

Cat

Ask a Question