SOLVED My internet connection is slow, how to fix?

Reaction score
Hello!

Lately I've got the computer back from a guy who repaired it. Everything on it works fine, except the point that I have problems connection to different networks. An example is at home, where I sometimes get cut off the internet and the internet connection is really slow. I can't even play games without have freezelag where everything is stopping. Even though I got problems with my connection, other persons which is also using the internet here are not having any problems with the internet, it's only me. So it has to be something with my computer right?. I have literally tried everything now, I hope you guys can help me out :)

Reaction score
This can depend on how far you are from the wireless router. the further you are, the slower the connect can become.

Also check the status of the wireless connection, what speed it is stating there where you are connected?

Also how many computers are connected to the wireless network, maybe someone is downloading a lot of data causing your connection to be slow.

Reaction score
This can depend on how far you are from the wireless router. the further you are, the slower the connect can become.

Also check the status of the wireless connection, what speed it is stating there where you are connected?

Also how many computers are connected to the wireless network, maybe someone is downloading a lot of data causing your connection to be slow.
Hi Skydiver

I dont think it's the distance, because my sister is sitting i dont know 5 metres far away from me and im sitting close to the router. I don't think that it's other computers downloading, because im alone right now, and still got this slow connection. I don't know about the status of the wireless connection. I'm not sure if I understand it.. But I also have this slow connection when im playing games when connected to other internet connection.
So it have to be something with my computer right?

Reaction score
When you click on wireless icon near the time and the right click on your network and click status.
what does it say about the speed? if it is more than 11/34 Mbps then thats ok.

Other thoughts are if the driver needs to be updated. What was the repair on the laptop about?

try to removing and reinstalling the driver for the wireless card.

Reaction score
It says 150.0 Mbps. I have downloaded the newest driver card but I need help to reinstall it. It was just a broke cabinet in the side where the cooler is placed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Wireless routers are available that support multiple frequencies. Some of them can only support one frequency at a time, so if your sister connects at 5GHz and you try to connect at 2.4GHz you will have problems on with that type router.

BTW, a 150Mbps connection is quite good; only the newer 300Mbps adapters are any better, many laptops only a couple years old only get 54Mbps.

Make sure your NIC (network drivers) are up-to-date. If the driver is an exe then run it; it may simply create a folder or it could actually run a program that installs it. If it creates a folder then ... go to Control Panel ... Device Manager. Then find your wireless network adapter. Right-click on it and choose update driver software. Next pick browse for software on my computer and point to the new folder that was created.

And freezing can be an issue with your source, your bandwidth, or with your computer. Something could be downloading in the background such as Windows updates, java updates, anti-virus updates, windows media center TV listings or a host of other programs that are installed on your computer. It's also possible the source you are downloading from throttles bandwidth; many file services do this to encourage people to pay. But it's also possible that something is running on your computer and using up your CPU, for example a virusscan..

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have you checked your computer web speed at a test website such as: www.speedtest.net

How much RAM does you computer have? Which version and edition of Windows 7 are you using?

Are you using CCleaner on a regular basis to clean up temp files and browsing cache?

Reaction score
Hello guys

Problem solved. I needed to update the network card driver. Even though I already tried that I had to download the file from somewhere else, because windows wouldn't install it.

Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know drier update worked... but I am curious as to where did you download the drivers from?

From the laptop manufacturer's site or the card manufacturer site? or a 3rd party?

Reaction score
cool.. good to know its working.. now you can play to your heart's content.. :)

Ask a Question