Multiple Flash Player install prompts

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced multiple Flash Player download/install prompts only to complete the install but still continue to receive the same prompts over and over agian.
I'm running Win7 pro on a Dell M2400 laptop. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - thank you very much...! --- Lyricster_1

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well it may not have installed properly but another possibility, there are versions for IE and another for Firefox/Safari/Opera and there are 32 and 64 bit versions of each.

Consider using the Alternative Flash Player Auto-Updater (Personally, I don't use the Auto feature, I just load it manually once a week or so) and it will show a nice grid of each version and then download them for you.

Reaction score
Multiple Flash Player install prompts - maybe...?

Trainable man,
I went through the Alternative download process then checked and can see it installed now. There were no directions or instructions that I could find and about 10 seconds after Ii confirmed that it was installed, I started receiving the same Flash installation prompts again. I'm wondering if I need to re-start my laptop to complete the installation.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Consider using the Alternative Flash Player Auto-Updater (Personally, I don't use the Auto feature, I just load it manually once a week or so) and it will show a nice grid of each version and then download them for you.
Think I found that? :D
But here's a question to you TM, have you ever had this download and install FF and then the same for IE, then recycle back to FF and carry on ad infinitum if you'd let it? Killing it showed they were installed, not sure if a blip on my behalf or a prog error.
I did jump back to my original version to cure it. But did make me lose a little faith.

Having said that, still faster than "official" route.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Be sure you turned off Adobe's updater. Go to Control Panel > Flash Player (32-bit) ... go to the Advanced Tab and select "Never check for updates (not recommended)"

Note: It usually downloads two versions (one right after the other) for me.

Open Alternative Flash. If Alternative is running then it has a little icon in the system tray (start it first if it isn't running). Dbl-click the icon & it should open a window and you can see a "downloading (xx%)" in the bottom left of that window. I would suggest you watch that and see if it is getting you multiple versions. As I said two is normal for me.

If current then it looks like this (notice the Done. in the lower left corner) ...
AltFlash.jpg

If your system does match the current version and it still keeps trying to download then let us know because then I would suspect there is another issue. BTW: are you logged on as an administrator?

**EDIT** Elmer: I do think it might have in the beginning but it hasn't since. My only guess would be that maybe it's similar to my AV, sometimes it has to update to one level just so it can turn around and update to yet another level.

I would say try rebooting and see if the problem continues, as I don't recall exactly when or why mine stopped.

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
**EDIT** Elmer: I do think it might have in the beginning but it hasn't since. My only guess would be that maybe it's similar to my AV, sometimes it has to update to one level just so it can turn around and update to yet another level.

I would say try rebooting and see if the problem continues, as I don't recall exactly when or why mine stopped.
??? Nor me! But it's doing right by itself again. Could possibly been after a fresh install, you know, where everything blurs!!

Reaction score
Flash Player issues (Continued)

Ok, I've follwed your directions and turned off my Adobe Updater and went to the advanced tab and selected 'never check for updates and (I am not logged on as the Admin but do have Admin rights to my computer logged in as myself) - Does this make a difference...? I also uninstalled Adobe Flash 11.1 a couple of different times and re-installed but still received the unwanted Flash update prompts. I no longer have the alternate site Adobe running. Please advise... Thank you very much...! Lyricster_!

Reaction score
I just uninstalled Adobe Flash again (Strange though, windows showed the regular Flash as being installed only but Revo Uninstaller showed the Alternative one installed -only. I uninstalled both then re-booted and installed the Alternative version. The alternative version came up with the small screen showing 'Done' however it also shows that none are installed and the latest version shows 'unknown'. Alternative does show in Win 7 'Programs and Features' as well as Revo Uninstaller. Please Advise...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Normally you don't see anything in Programs & Features for the 32-bit version of Flash but you will see entries for the 64-bit. I don't understand why you are uninstalling the programs? If you uninstall Flash then you need to go back and disable update settings again once you install.

I suppose since everything is uninstalled it would be a good time to run the registry cleaner portion of CCleaner. Odds are it won't help but you never know it could be something "funky" in the registry.

And to install them I would suspect you must be logged in as an Administrator or give them Admin privileges but I don't know because I just always have it. So I suggest you install the Alternate Updater and then right-click on the exe and set compatibility to Run As Administrator. Then run it and supply your admin password.

Reaction score
I have done everything you have suggested and this time I was actually able to make it through the installation successfully this time. (before I always received an error message at exactly the 50% mark of the install and had to cancel it) Everything looks great however I am still receiving the Adobe flash install prompts every few minutes when I'm on the Internet. I really need to get this fixed as I work on a couple of web apps daily for my job and when I open them up, they both tell me I do not have Adobe Flash installed and provide a link for me to install it. I've also run the most recent version of MalwareBytes and scanned with my Corporate version of Trend but neither found anything. Do you happen to have any other suggestions...?:confused:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Exactly what browser are you actually using? And is it the 32 or 64-bit?

If you go back and check Control Panel > Flash Player (32-bit) ... Advanced Tab is it still set to "Never check for updates (not recommended)" or has it turned back on? I'm wondering if you settings are not sticking.

Also if you go into Alternative Updater is it showing you are at the latest? and does it say done in the bottom left or does it also keep trying to download?

You said you are not logged on to your account with admin privileges, could you tell me why that is? If you do logon with that account are things normal or does that one also keep saying you need new flash?

Ensure that you have administrator permissions on your computer

On Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista, and Windows 7, you can't install Flash Player if you don't have administrator permissions for your user account on your computer.
To determine whether you have administrator permissions for your user account, do the following:
If you are using Windows XP: Right-click the start button and search for the Open All Users and Explore All Users menu items. If you find these menu items, you are an administrator and have enough rights to install software.
If you are using Vista or Windows 7:

1. Select the Start menu on the lower left of the screen.
  2. Select Control Panel.
  3. If you see a selection named User Accounts, you have administrator permissions.
  4. If you see a selection named User Accounts And Family Safety, you do not have administrator permissions. Follow these steps:
Home users: Create a user account with administrator permissions. Log in to that account and try reinstalling Flash Player. For more information, see the Microsoft Help page Create a user account.
Workplace users: In Vista and Windows 7, regardless of your permissions, you can run any application as an administrator. To run an application as an administrator, right-click the filename and select Run As Administrator. Provide the administrator ID and password when prompted.

If you need more help, contact your system administrator.
IT professionals: Administrative permissions are necessary so that the Adobe Flash Player installer can access the Windows system registry and the following folder:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash folder for a 32-bit machine
C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash folder for a 64-bit machine
For more information on Windows Registry permissions, see the MSDN article Understanding Windows File And Registry Permissions.
When you have logged in to Windows as an administrator, repeat the steps above under Download and install the latest Flash Player version.
Source

Last edited:

Ask a Question