Msconfig & Start Up question

Reaction score
Upgraded from Vista to Win 7 (both 64 bit) and via the Custom Install method.
Went into Msconfig to change the Time out from 30 to 3 ).

On the General tab I noticed that the Selective Button was chosen rather than the Normal Start Up.
Is this right?

(see jpg)

Thanks

Attachments

Reaction score
It will do that anytime you make a change within msconfig. To have better options you might would like EasyBCD. It is freeware and easy to use.

EasyBCD is NeoSmart Technologies' multiple award-winning answer to tweaking the new Windows Vista bootloader. With EasyBCD, almost anything is possible. Setting up and configuring Windows boot entries is simple, and there is no easier way to quickly boot right into Linux, Mac OS X, or BSD straight from the Windows Vista bootloader - on the fly, no expert knowledge needed!
Read more and download from here - EasyBCD 1.7.2

Reaction score
So, when next I am in Msconfig - should I check off "Normal Start up" ?

Reaction score
Yah Check off "Normal start up", You should only use "optimized start up" for tracing down problems.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I always have my msconfig on Selective Startup. There are a few processes under the Startup Tab that I don't like to have started when my system is started. (less things starting mean a faster startup, especially for things I rarely use)

Reaction score
I always have my msconfig on Selective Startup. There are a few processes under the Startup Tab that I don't like to have started when my system is started. (less things starting mean a faster startup, especially for things I rarely use)
I always remove them from startup options with other utilities. If the programs are removed from starting, windows will still start normally

msconfig only disables them and changes from normal startup.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Assuming most users have particular requirements, the "selective" mode should always be used. If you reselect "normal" your startup will revert to the default. If you have been deselecting various items, for faster startup, it will slow it down again.
"Read more and download from here - EasyBCD 1.7.2 "
Now on version 2.0. Still in Beta. I cannot see any differences, although Neowin claim it is now compatible with Windows 7. (Wasn't 1.7.2. ?)

Reaction score
If you reselect "normal" your startup will revert to the default. If you have been deselecting various items, for faster startup, it will slow it down again.
There are ways to stop processes from running without changing the status of your startup. The best way is to stop the process from loading without disabling it.

If disabling the process is what you are doing then the process is still listed as a startup item that was not loaded. If you remove the item from the startup list then you can boot normally without the process loading.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Neowin claim it is now compatible with Windows 7. (Wasn't 1.7.2. ?)
Im using 1.7.2. in Windows 7 Pro ... no probs as yet :)

Reaction score
other than decreasing the Boot time from 30 to 3 and
deselecting Tablet Services (from within the Control Panel- Add/Remove - services on left side, is the reason why Selective Start Up was chosen.

Another reason I ask is that the built in sound card (I have a ASUS P6T mobo) may not be playing nice. I downloaded a audio driver and then I lost sound from the front port headphone port.

Ask a Question