SOLVED Msconfig cleanup

Reaction score
Xp had this program that worked great but I can't seem to find anything for Win 7 x64. Any suggestions or hive lists that may direct me to cleaning out unused entries?

Thanks!

Reaction score
I'm not following the question. :(

What exactly are you wanting to clean?
  1. Boot settings
  2. Services
  3. Startup entries

Reaction score
Hi Thanks for the reply. I want to cleanup the unchecked items in the startup tab of msconfig. In xp I used msconfig cleanup but haven't found a version that works with x64 Win 7

Reaction score
Use CCleaner to remove any unwanted startup entries. :)

There are other programs that I use but for the most part CCleaner is the only program I will recommend to others. When you start CCleaner, look under tools for the startup tab which will show all your programs that start with Windows. From the list you can enable, disable or delete any of the listed items.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
msconfig-cleanup-setup.exe is what I used in XP, it won't install in 64 no, the one I listed in my previous post is actually a replacement utility I found and it does install on 64.

But since I have CCleaner for other stuff it is more practical to just use it for this as well (now that Clifford has shown me the light), the one I mentioned above has already been deleted from my installed programs. I definately say, go with CCleaner.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
CCleaner is also good for clearing out old system restore points :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you are happy working in the registry, it is very easily done by navigating to

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

There you will see all the unticked files, which you can examine and delete.

and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

Little more care required with the latter, as it contains startup files installed by Microsoft. Mine are all unticked, so I removed them. But I do not reccomend it is you are experimenting.
  1. Delete any items listed in there that you no longer want shown unchecked in MSConfig

Reaction score
I've got to ask a stupid question. If an item is unchecked in the startup reg, is it OK to delete? If they're not checked, does that mean they don't run at startup? And if left alone, what does it harm? Thanks!

Reaction score
You can use Regedit to follow the location shown in msconfig, to delete the entry.

If you leave it unchecked in msconfig, it does no harm at all and also will not start with Windows.

Ask a Question