MP3'S not playing?

Reaction score
Hey guys, i installed windows 7 RC yesterday, all is working fine except when i play an mp3, all i get is a horrible scratchy, hissy sound, i cant describe it really, is this only me or is it a bug anyone is aware of? i remember reading somewhere about a patch Microsoft had released but i cant find that forum now!. Apologies if this has been talked about already, but i cant seem to find any info.
Any helop would be great!

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There was a patch for the initial public beta, but it was for corruption of mp3 file ID tags (blogged here). I've not experienced any problems with MP3s at all. It sounds (excuse the pun) as if it is your sound card drivers.
Do your system sounds play clearly?

Reaction score
hey, thnks for the quick reply!< yeah, all my sysem sounds are fine, and watching tv online etc from the bbc and youtube etc, the sound works fine on there to, its just MP3'S, it seems very strange!

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would try another audio player to see if that rules out WMP (assuming that is what you are using in Win7).

Reaction score
try device manager and see if their are any exclamtion marks next to any icons.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd try installing some newer sound drivers like James suggested, as although it only seems to be MP3 files it could still be a driver problem :) If you're after a free and simple media player to rule out Windows Media Player, VLC is a good option.

Reaction score
cheers for the advice, i tried wimamp but it does exactly the same, very strange. There are no exclimation marks next to the sound card in device manager. Will there even be drivers for windows 7? or would i just select the newest vista ones?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Give us your sound card (or chipset if onboard) info and we'll see if we can find some beta drivers from OEM that might work with 7, should they exist at this point. Vista drivers may work but I'd try 7-specific ones first if possible.

You can also try (re)installing an mp3 codec in case the codec's corrupt.

Reaction score
Give us your sound card (or chipset if onboard) info and we'll see if we can find some beta drivers from OEM that might work with 7, should they exist at this point. Vista drivers may work but I'd try 7-specific ones first if possible.

You can also try (re)installing an mp3 codec in case the codec's corrupt.

hi, stupid question, but, im not amazingly great at computers ( i know enough to get me around, a little like being able to ask for a beer in germany), how do i find out what chipset it is i have??,

Last edited:

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Everest:there's a name I have not heard in some time! It was great when it was a freeware application.
There's also Belarc Advisor which is pretty good, although not as thorough as Everest.

Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys, well i used Everest, and theres is alot of information, i will give you what i think is relivent, im sure i will miss something out though lol

the chipset is "North Bridge : Intel Crestline - GML GL960

Motherboard name - Acer Extensa 4220

thanks for your help!!

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
thanks for the advice guys, well i used Everest, and theres is alot of information, i will give you what i think is relivent, im sure i will miss something out though lol

the chipset is "North Bridge : Intel Crestline - GML GL960

Motherboard name - Acer Extensa 4220

thanks for your help!!
Uses RealTek if I am not mistaken. Download R2.22 Vista 32/64 driver from here. It's Win7 compatible. Give that a go and reboot, see if it helps.

Reaction score
hey, i tried downloading the file you suggested however there was only version 22.23 not .22, is that an updated version>? and if so shall i download that one instead as i can seem to see the .22 version.

Reaction score
integrated realtek alc888 works fine with vista 2.20 driver pack

Ask a Question