More prob with sharing printers

Reaction score
I have 64-bit W7 on my network. The network is configured as a "work" network. ALl the computers on the network are all the same workgroup. I have an XP (32 bit) box connected by wire and a Vista (64 bit) laptop.

I have an Epson R1800 printer and an HP LJ5L running properly on the W7 box. I have the sharing set up so the printers are shared.

I can see the printers connected to the W& box on the other computers. I can "connect" to the printers so that the other computers can use them. Previously I had the W7 box running XP Pro and the other computers had no trouble printing to these printers, so the drivers are fine ( but I reloaded the dirvers anyway when I had trouble without any improvement).

The XP box is able to print to the W7's printers with no problem.

The Vista laptop essentially can not. Any activity that refers to the printers becomes so slow that it is unusable. Many minutes will pass for anything related to the printers to happen, such as open the printer properties. Actually PRINTING from the laptop has never occurred, but maybe I just never could wait long enough. I did wait for over 1/2 hour once for one page of plain text to print to the laserjet, without any result.

As far as I can tell, all other network activity from the Vista to the W7 machines works fine. I can transfer files properly, or so it appears. W7 is picky about what actual folders I can have access to from the other computer even when I made a bunch of stuff shared and with full permissions.

Since the XP box can print fine, I suspect that the problem is something about how Vista interacts with the W7 printers. Are there any known fixes for this sort of scenario?

-Tony

Ask a Question