More points coming

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
When the Core i7 2600K went on sale last week, I decided to take the plunge. I've folded a couple of WU's with it over the last couple of days but starting today it's going to fold full time.

Just going with the SMP-2 client for now with no other flags. I'm slightly OC'd to 3.6 GHz and will need a third party CPU cooler to take it any farther.

That's the good news. Here's the bad. My Core 2 Quad machine is dead in the water for now. Couldn't get another video card to work in there and it doesn't have on board.
I have other options but I need to take a break from it and get some real work done.:)

Here's a look at what's going on now. With a little luck I may get some more of those
912s and 925s that I was getting yesterday.

Attachments

Reaction score
WooHoo :D:D:D

Yadap is dangling candy in front of me now. :) I can't hardly wait for my own 2600K Sandy Bridge.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Lol. I thought you might wait til the next XBridge thingy!

BTW, I never want to pass you in points unless it's unavoidable. :)

BTW, A huge congratz on your 2000th WU.:)

BTW, keep on keeping on.

FBF

Reaction score
Lol. I thought you might wait til the next XBridge thingy!
Nah, I am kind of waiting to see when a 6-core Sandy Bridge will be released and what the prices may be. They will more than likely be way to expensive for my budget.
BTW, I never want to pass you in points unless it's unavoidable. :)
Don't let me slow you down!!! :D
Give me incentive to upgrade ;)
Let the folding ranks fall where they may.

BTW, A huge congratz on your 2000th WU.:)
Thanks and congrats to you for finishing over 2600 WU's

FBF

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
From what I understand, the Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor is a real screamer and easily overclocked too.

It's $314.99 though... :(, plus a decent motherboard for it is around $175-200 ! Especially the mobos using the new Intel Z68 chipset. There are some that are less expensive, but the price above is the mid-range mobo prices.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
The egg had it for 299 and I went with P67 board for 159. Now add the cost of a CPU cooler before you can OC.

Expensive? Yeah but I expect to use for tears to come.

Especially the mobos using the new Intel Z68 chipset.
See, already obsolete.:(

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
See, already obsolete.:(
It's not THAT obsolete yet. You still have a very up-to-date system and it will last you for as you state: "tears to come". LOL! I didn't know you were so emotional! ;)

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Lol you caught me again.

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new hardware, yodap!

That will be a big boost to the team, and as c_c said, offers a carrot for others to chase.

Most users report 4.7GHz as a common limit on air cooling, but it's not a struggle to get it there. Compared to older processors, the i7 chips have a higher TJmax, allowing for higher safe temps than you may be used to.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668668

As a full time folder, that CPU will easily handle bigadv WUs, if you decide to get adventurous. That alone would give you 36K PPD at the clocks you're running now, I think. Everything else (GPU and any other systems) would be icing on the cake.
:D

Reaction score
Most users report 4.7GHz as a common limit on air cooling, but it's not a struggle to get it there. Compared to older processors, the i7 chips have a higher TJmax, allowing for higher safe temps than you may be used to.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668668
LOL :lol: - I read through some of the comments and couldn't help but laugh when I read about the thermal pipe idea. Keeping their coffee warm by piping CPU heat to a hotplate on top of the case.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my next tax return next year and I'll be able to do a complete CPU, motherboard and RAM upgrade.

I am going to get a Core i7 2600K CPU, a top-end Gigabyte motherboard and some high-end Mushkin RAM sticks. Then we be rockin'!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Thanks F_T

I heard you need to be at 3.8GHz to finish bigadv's comfortably on time. I will try them later in the week though..

Nibs, we would love to have you back in the fold, so to speak, if that is your intention.
By next year the Ivy Bridge processors may have more to offer but I can attest to the fact that the 2600k is completely awesome.

And finally the good news, the q8400 is back up and folding so I'm ready for a good week. :)

Reaction score
I heard you need to be at 3.8GHz to finish bigadv's comfortably on time. I will try them later in the week though..

And finally the good news, the q8400 is back up and folding so I'm ready for a good week. :)
Thats great news.:top:

Yodap!! I don't know about you but before I was introduced to folding, I was content with only one rig and it didn't have to be the greatest either. Now I want the top of the line and more than one rig on top of that. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Thats great news.:top:

Yodap!! I don't know about you but before I was introduced to folding, I was content with only one rig and it didn't have to be the greatest either. Now I want the top of the line and more than one rig on top of that. :rolleyes:
LOL - Most support groups help you break an addiction. With folding, it's encouraged!

FBF

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Well you see judge, it all started so innocently .........................

Reaction score
Well you see judge, it all started so innocently .........................
Judges verdict: mandatory doctor visits for the accused.
Doc is there a cure for my addiction?
I'm afraid not, keep folding and you will find it.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I noticed my points took a huge leap for a couple of days, then settled back down. A few small jobs came my way. Every bit counts.

Being that we're on the subject of points, I'm considering selling the desktop that I have on eBay, and go with a cheap XP desktop for a few months (I can get one, PC, keyboard/mouse/monitor for $60).

Many older computers are still bringing around $200 to $350 with XP (& 20 to 120GB IDE HDD's) still on them, and the buyer still has to (or should) purchase a warranty. So I figure that one with Windows 7 Pro x64 (still under warranty for $599 until Nov 2012) should fetch $400 to $450 easily.

This would give me almost half of the cash that I'd need for a new build. I don't need to buy everything at once, start with the main items (the CPU & GPU), and build the system around those components. Quality MOBO's aren't cheap, but RAM is, I've never seen 8GB RAM at the prices they've been at the last month or two (some of which cost less than I paid for 4GB DDR2 RAM over a year ago). Some of the final touches can be found bundled, such as the case/PSU/fans. I already have a couple of 1TB HDD's laying around for storage, but one of these small hybrid HDD's would make a great OS install drive.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/laptop-hdd/

I would consider a last generation SSD, if the price is low enough. Some 64GB ones can be found at a decent price, if one sees the ads & acts fast. Most are guaranteed for 3 years minimum, and while that's not everything, it's peace of mind that I'll have a HDD for that timeframe. Plus, if it's mainly a dedicated folder, the HDD won't be written on a lot, only the bare minimum of programs will even be on it. Seriously, how many apps do I need on a computer to fold with?

An AV/IS suite, the browser of my choice, a backup program, an app like Speed Fan to monitor temps, the folding program, that's it. Why load it up with unneeded apps that drinks resources? Many apps do, whether we realize it or not. Just open the Task Manager & see.

This would free up my notebook for daily use, and even that $60 XP based desktop (a GX260 Optiplex) has a connector for a video card, as long as it's a low profile one. That should be good for something, if nothing else, it should allow me to install Win 7 on it, along with my printer & other accessories, and allow my newer desktop to run 24/7, folding it's butt off with that v7 client.

I've got to get moving. My thinking is that my present desktop is worth more while it still has a year & a half of warranty, than to wait after it runs out. I even have a couple of other items that I may sell for the cause.

Hopefully, by year's end, mabye sooner, I'll have that new one built. I don't believe that I'll have to look far for advice.

Cat

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan, Cat. Good luck with the sale.

...I already have a couple of 1TB HDD's laying around for storage, but one of these small hybrid HDD's would make a great OS install drive.

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/laptop-hdd/

I would consider a last generation SSD, if the price is low enough. Some 64GB ones can be found at a decent price, if one sees the ads & acts fast. Most are guaranteed for 3 years minimum, and while that's not everything, it's peace of mind that I'll have a HDD for that timeframe. Plus, if it's mainly a dedicated folder, the HDD won't be written on a lot, only the bare minimum of programs will even be on it. Seriously, how many apps do I need on a computer to fold with?
Only caution I would offer is about the use of a last gen SSD as the folding drive. If you run a GPU client, there will be more writes than you know. It isn't the size of the writes so much as the frequency and quantity. Newer SSD drives may not be as affected by frequent writes, but the older generation drives were avoided by most I have talked to where folding was concerned. I've read coments from some that tried it, only to have the drive fail prematurely.

If you want the SSD for the OS, the ideal setup would be to add a mechanical HDD to install the client on. If you use v7, you will want to do a custom install on the OS to force the user folder to the HDD, also. The v7 client puts all of the work, core, config, and log folders under \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\FAHClient (at least, that's where it is on my Win7 Home Premium systems.)

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I just started my first -bigadv wu. I'll post back in a couple of hours when hfm.net can give me more info.

Project 6900
base points - 8955

Edit: Oops that may not be a bigadv wu.

Cat, I'm going to organize some thoughts based on my hardware purchases for you. I have made some mistakes in haste to put up more work units and points. I don't want to see you waste good money if you can help it.

I'll post back,

Last edited:

Ask a Question