missing folders

Reaction score
My wife came home with a coworkers laptop....It's a Dell latitude D630 and it has XP Pro on it. It is missing two folders; my pictures and my music. Of course no one has a clue as to how it happened. How can I get these two folders back?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's not that hard to wipe them out- you can right-click and Delete them. I assume you checked the recycle bin.

By default they would be @
C:\Documents and Settings\UserID\My Documents\My Music
C:\Documents and Settings\UserID\My Documents\My Pictures
I would recreate those folders.

Then I would use TweakUI (for XP) to see if it will REPAIR them (last option in the tweak utility, simply select My Music and run, repeat for My Pictures).

NOTE: There is also another program to add TweakUIXP to the control panel (since MS did not do it this way like they did in Win98) - I prefer this method and then I delete the folder Microsoft added to the start menu.

Finally, test to see if it worked.
(If not let me know and I can see if I can find the registry location to edit.)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
There is another possible option, note that I said possible. Recuva (by the same people as CCleaner) is a file finder program. When something's deleted by accident, it's possible to find it, but the main issue (and problem) is time. As long as the computer is being used, the deleted files are being overwritten.

Since it's the most obvious way to get what has been lost, I can only assume that the laptop in question has not been backed up regularly, if at all.

I do hope that you get your pics & music back, in an instance as this, time is against you, if the computer is being used at all.

Best of Luck,
Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah I guess it wasn't really clear, I read it as just the links and empty folders that needed recreated, but if you are looking for files that were actually lost from those folders as well, then you would want to try to undelete as Cat suggested, FIRST.

Reaction score
Recuva helped me recover some photo files from my uncles laptop that were deleted. Thanks for the post.

Ask a Question