Migrate system to SSD

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am newly bought a Crucial 64GB SSD, my OS is win7 unl 32-bit, and want to move my system to the SSD without reconfigure all my setup.
After searching “migrate system to ssd” on google, I find two products Paragon and Partition Assistant. I noticed them having the same function could achieve my goal. What I interested is there anyone having used these two products? What is you experience?

Reaction score
That's physically impossible. You need to do a clean install of Windows 7 and everything else. You're also prettty limited by getting a 64 GB. ssd. . You need to make backup copies of everything on a cd/dvd or external hard drive and then delete the system reserved partition. You also will need to format the current drive Windows 7 is on. Then proceed with a clean install of Windows 7 on the ssd.You then need to make folders for Comtacts, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, Saved Games on your old hard drive. Then click Start, click on your username at the top right of the start menu. Right-click on each of the Contacts, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Saved Games and Videos folders, select Properties, click Location, then click Move and point each folder to the new folder of the same name on your old hard drive. This tell's Windows to keep those folders off the ssd and is a must do. If you use Windows Media Center, you'll want to move the Recorded TV onto your old hard drive. If you're a gamer, you'll also need to move your games off the ssd, too. That one's a whole different subject. After moving those folders for each user account, update Windows first. Run Windows Update until no updates are found. Then install your drivers and restart your pc after installing each one. Now click Start, right-click on Computer, click on Properties and re-run WEI (Windows Experience Index, so Trim get's enabled on the ssd. Now install and update your security software. Then reinstall your programs and update them. Then run a full scan with your security software and remove any threats it finds. Restart your pc and proceed to get Windows and your software settings to your likinggs and then run a full backup/system image and you're done.
Hi all,

I am newly bought a Crucial 64GB SSD, my OS is win7 unl 32-bit, and want to move my system to the SSD without reconfigure all my setup.
After searching “migrate system to ssd” on google, I find two products Paragon and Partition Assistant. I noticed them having the same function could achieve my goal. What I interested is there anyone having used these two products? What is you experience?

Reaction score
Advantage and disadvantage of these two software

Hi, I have used both paragon migrate tool and Partition Assistnat from giveaway, and below is my Experience, hope it could help you

About Paragon Migrate OS to SSD 2.0
This software is an excellent system (or file) migration tool. It is the first software which supports migrating system or file to SSD or other larger disk.
Advantage of Paragon migrate OS to SSD 2.0
One-key operation, easy to use, only needs some mouse clicking then operation will be completed.
Support file migration, you could select the file in system partition which you want to migrate!
Support migrate system or data from MBR disk to GPT disk!
Support migrate data to virtual environment!
Disk advantage of Paragon migrate OS to SSD 2.0
It is not free software; you need to purchase it for $19.95.
Single function, you could only use it to move your file from one disk to another.
About AOMEI Partition Assistant 5.0
AOMEI Partition Assistant as professional partition manager software which integrate system migration feature in its latest upgrade edition, 5.0 versions.
Advantage of AOMEI Partition Assistant 5.0
The built-in “migrate system to SSD wizard” which could help you move system partition to SSD by mouse clicking!
Automatically aligns partitions on the destination disk during the operation
Support resizes the system partition on destination disk!
Support manages partition on destination disk, such as create/delete, merge/split, resize, clone partition and etc!
Free software!
Disadvantage of AOMEI Partition Assistant 5.0
Only support migrate partition, could not mange file like Paragon.
Only support migrate partition from MBR disk to MBR, GPT disk is not support.
From the information above, it is clearly that, to most common users if you only want to migrate your system partition to SSD, Partition Assistant 5.0 would be enough, however if you want to do some professional migration, Paragon Migrate tool is better.

Reaction score
I completely forgot about this one in my first post. Before you do anything else, install the ssd in sata port 1, put your old hard drive on sata port 2. Set your hard drives to AHCI in the bios and make your old hard drive the 1st boot device. Start Windows 7 and go to the ssd manufacturer's website and download any firmware updates for your ssd. It will usually be under support or downloads. Then update the firmware and proceed with my instructions from the 1st post I made. For future reference if OCZ make's your ssd any future firmware updates will have to be done through another o.s, thst's not on the ssd. A easy way around that would be to put Linux Ubuntu on your old hard drive for performing future ssd firmware update's.

Reaction score
I completely forgot about this one in my first post. Before you do anything else, install the ssd in sata port 1, put your old hard drive on sata port 2. Set your hard drives to AHCI in the bios and make your old hard drive the 1st boot device. Start Windows 7 and go to the ssd manufacturer's website and download any firmware updates for your ssd. It will usually be under support or downloads. Then update the firmware and proceed with my instructions from the 1st post I made. For future reference if OCZ make's your ssd any future firmware updates will have to be done through another o.s, thst's not on the ssd. A easy way around that would be to put Linux Ubuntu on your old hard drive for performing future ssd firmware update's.

Hi brkkab123,

Thanks for your kind help and suggestion, however I have lost my original installation CD, I followed michaellj's suggestion, it works fine for me.

Ask a Question