SOLVED How can I migrate from a Gateway to an HP correctly?

Reaction score
Is there a 'best practice' that will explain migrating from a Gateway PC to an HP PC?

I have four Gateways that I want to migrate from which are running under Windows-7 Pro.

I would like to use the same Activation Numbers after migrating to Windows-7 Pro on the HP's.

The Gateways will be donated to the Salvation Army without an Operating System installed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Legally you cannot transfer the licenses. Gateway PCs come with OEM licenses & they live and die with the motherboard where they are first installed.

Reaction score
With that being said, how can I migrate my user data from one System to the other successfully?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The easiest way is to use "Windows Easy Transfer". Simply type that into the search engine & run the program. By default it will try to back up all the normal libraries for all users on the computer. If you have non-standard data locations as well, like C:\DATA\MYSTUFF then you will want to use the advanced settings to add the additional folders.

I also personally recommend that if you have anything on your desktop or in folders on the desktop that you wish to keep then you are better off to create a folder in your library and copy the information there. Then make sure the desktop is unchecked (it is checked by default) when you generate the migration (.mig) file. The reason for this is because when you expand the migration file on the new computer it will completely overwrite your new desktop with your old desktop and you may loose some shortcut links to things that maybe your HP has installed that you didn't have on your old computer.

Then you copy the .MIG file created to the new computer by USB or external drive or via web online storage. Then on the new computer run Windows Easy Transfer, this time to expand the data you backed up. Once you have all the data copied you will also want to reinstall any programs you use: Microsoft office, CCleaner, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Stop HPDM server & Gateway

Open the command Prompt dialog on the system where you have installed HPDM server

Swtich to the directory "../HP Device Manager/Server/bin"

Execute the command line: dbsetup "-language=en" "-country=US" to open the DB installation dialog

Choose the option of migrate (the third one)

Try this one its from hp.com. Hope it helps.

Ask a Question