Microsoft releases SP1 RC for Windows 7, Server 2008 R2

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

Microsoft today released Service Pack 1 (SP1) Release Candidate (RC) for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. As you can see over at Microsoft.com, the 32-bit installer is 514.7MB in size while the 64-bit installer is 865.4MB.

Microsoft started testing SP1 seven months ago and a public beta was released in July 2010. The final release of SP1 is expected to arrive during the first quarter of 2011. Microsoft provides service packs for free to bring their OS up to speed with all of the latest security patches and bug fixes, provided that you have a genuine copy of Windows.

For Windows Server 2008 R2, SP1 will add two new features that directly affect Microsoft's desktop virtualization platform: Microsoft Dynamic Memory and Microsoft RemoteFX. The former gives on-the-fly control of a virtual machine's memory while the latter provides a virtualized 3D graphical experience for remote users.

For Windows 7, SP1 includes only minor updates: mostly hotfixes already delivered through Windows Update. SP1 will, however, feature an updated Remote Desktop client that takes advantage of RemoteFX introduced Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

SOURCE

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Nothing to comment on from me. It took about 30 minutes to download and about the same to install on my old Laptop I use for testing.
One + is that it no longer has a watermark on your desktop.

P.S. (Later) ON a second reboot, the watermark popped up again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
865 MB...holy macaroni. That's more than fits on a damn CD. Times sure have changed.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Reactions: Ian

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Thanks Nibs, but I would not want to do that. I just wanted a quick look. I have uninstalled it again. I'll wait! I really cannot understand why MS would want to brand anyonres genuine desktop as and Evaluation copy, though.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Probably because it's a Release Candidate rather than RTM. It expires on 11-30-2011

Remember it was the same with the initial Windows 7 Betas and RC too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
865 MB...holy macaroni. That's more than fits on a damn CD. Times sure have changed.
This made me recall that time when they released SP1 for XP. I didn't even realize that there was a new service pack until Windows Update declared that I must reboot.:lol:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Probably because it's a Release Candidate rather than RTM. It expires on 11-22-2011

Remember it was the same with the initial Windows 7 Betas and RC too.
True, but it doesn't look to good for unknowledgeable customers to see a label on my own laptop saying the OS installation is an evaluation release. Not to worry, it is easier enough to uninstall!

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
This made me recall that time when they released SP1 for XP. I didn't even realize that there was a new service pack until Windows Update declared that I must reboot.:lol:
You were lucky!!
Took over an hour for me and the PC was unusable during that time (I was on dial up).
What I really remember though was that it was well worth the wait.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
True, but it doesn't look to good for unknowledgeable customers to see a label on my own laptop saying the OS installation is an evaluation release. Not to worry, it is easier enough to uninstall!
Cool Beans! :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I studied this for a ewhil, when I received it last week. I must be reading something wrong. This from one of the biggest and most advanced companies in the world. - LOL. Or maybe I missed something in the context.

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate Is Now Available
Dear David:

Thanks for downloading and evaluating Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Beta. As a beta evaluator, you’re invited to download and evaluate the Release Candidate version of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
OK I see now what they are saying. A bit late as they sent the RC link before the email. Anyway. Forget it - my misreading!

Ask a Question