SOLVED Microsoft releases Joulemeter, a power consumption measurement tool

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
By Windows Club | May 29th, 2010 . Filed under: Downloads. Tags: Power, Research

Joulemeter from Microsoft Research is a software based mechanism to measure the energy usage of virtual machines (VM), servers, desktops, laptops, and even individual software running on a Windows computer.

Joulemeter estimates the energy usage of a VM, computer, or software by measuring the hardware resources (CPU, disk, memory, screen etc) being used and converting the resource usage
to actual power usage based on automatically learned realistic power models.

Joulemeter can be used for gaining visibility into energy use and for making several power management and provisioning decisions in data centers, client computing, and software design.

It tracks computer resources, such as CPU utilization and screen brightness, and estimates power usage.

Download Page | Product Information.

Thanks iMav@TWCF.

SOURCE

Reaction score
Problem with calibration! :(
Profile: PlatformRoleDesktop
Number of PStates found:0
Watts Up not found.
No battery or meter found. Calibration cannot proceed
I need something else apparently.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm using 117W to watch the Joulemeter Statistics. Seems excessive.

Of course it's uncallibrated because I don't have a meter.

Reaction score
I don't understand the meter part. How can a meter not have a meter? Why does a meter need a meter to calibrate itself?

I wonder if there is a coin slot on the side? Maybe the meter will work if we feed it a quarter! :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Somebody try it on a laptop - I assume that's the battery option.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
OK, I've tried to install it on my laptop. The first attempt to install, there was a message about a delay, and didn't go through. So I tried again, it now says "the specified service already exists". It doesn't, and I've tried the install three times. Something is wrong with this software, that's surprising, being that it comes from Microsoft.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I do know it actually creates a windows SERVICE entry because it indicated when I went to uninstall that the service was running but I never actually went into Task Manager to find the service name, it simply closed it for me.

Maybe if you run MSCONFIG you can disable it and then reboot?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I just got through a round of folding, and now am backing it up. Getting tired, too. I'll check it out tomorrow, I'm going to add my old pocket backup drive to it for more space. I need it badly, it's packed to the gills, four OS's and four VM's on a 100GB (93 usable) drive. I'll run MSCONFIG and find it.

Reaction score
I install it in my hp probook perfectly. callibration done and working great. but in my desktop the same error message as above users written.
Any solution?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Same old BS as the last time (quite awhile back). When I attempt to install, there is an "error 1001, the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner"

Then, as before, it gives the same message when I try to install. It reports that the service is already installed. MS has had ample time to fix this problem, and despite of my efforts to report the issue, no corrections has been made.

Is this a Windows 7/Vista only program?

shuknopata, welcome to the forum! I just noticed it was your first post. Hopefully, you'll find this forum to be very useful, as you continue use Windows 7. In contrast with many posts across the net that suggests otherwise, 7 is the best version of Windows that has been written. Should you ever need help, or have a question, always feel free to post.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Getting it to work on your Probook is further than most of us have gotten. I would surmise this uses some new measurements only available on newer laptops (maybe new desktops too), but it doesn't seem to work on the equipment the rest of us have. If my assumption is correct than this is a hardware issue, not a Microsoft issue.

Ask a Question