Microsoft Releases Security Essentials

Reaction score
Microsoft releases its free Security Essentials

Not sure if anyone has tried the beta beforehand but it is now on public release.

Microsoft.... said:
About Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.
Available from the official page - Microsoft Security Essentials

Reaction score
I like the fact that Microsoft is taking an approach to securing pcs, but I don't think I would trust Microsoft with my security just yet.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I'm of the same mind as danperteet for now and I'm happy with my security. I will be keeping an eye on Security Essentials and i hope it goes well for Microsoft, there up against some very good security freeware.

Reaction score
Win 7 locks after MSE install

Hi guys a good few months since i last posted on here but so far all has run smoothly.
I have been running Kaspersky beta for win7 and using the odd check with Malwarebytes and Spybot with no probs this morning i installed MSE and have found my system to be slowing down then locking up while Kaspersky scans, now wanting to give MSE a run for its money, so to speak ,I have uninstalled Kaspersky and all seams to be running fine.
Just wondering if any other users will come back to you guys with similar probs.
Kind regards and keep up the good work

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi guys a good few months since i last posted on here but so far all has run smoothly.
I have been running Kaspersky beta for win7 and using the odd check with Malwarebytes and Spybot with no probs this morning i installed MSE and have found my system to be slowing down then locking up while Kaspersky scans, now wanting to give MSE a run for its money, so to speak ,I have uninstalled Kaspersky and all seams to be running fine.
Just wondering if any other users will come back to you guys with similar probs.
Kind regards and keep up the good work
I've got KIS 2010 installed and had MSE installed for a day (but not on active scan mode). As you had 2 on-demand scanners running at the same time your system will noticably slow down, so it's best to only use one at a time. You can have more than one installed if you only use it on-demand, but there isn't too much point in most cases.

Good to see you on the site again :)

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Some really nasty conflicts can occur with two active Anti-virus scanners, which is why most AV vendors warn against using other AV programs in conjunction with their products. (Microsoft explicitly warns against this with MSE as well)

So far I am seriously liking MSE... it uses 8MB of RAM, the installation is 64bit, and it only uses 13MB in the program files folder. The interface is simple without the glitter AV's love to use to make their programs seem more beefy or secure, but after some quick testing I can say the program just works.

Microsoft should know better than anybody how to best monitor their own OS for active threats, and their history with Windows Defender seems to have paid off. I'm going to keep using MSE for now, or until I find a reason not to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Totaly agree with Kougars comment, i am sure that win7 and Mse will compliment each othe rand go further to produce a secure system.
Regards all

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I have been using MSE on both of my laptops for almost a month and so far, I'm impressed. At first, I was afraid that it would be like Windows Defender, since they look alike. Windows Defender slowed my laptop badly, and there's one thing I can't stand. A program asking me is it alright to install a program. Windows 7 does that as well, but it isn't time consuming. It looks like Microsoft has done a really good job creating an anti virus program. It's lightweight, fast and effective. Now that Microsoft has released two excellent products this year (MSE & Windows 7), let's see what they can do with IE. We need IE to be a compliment to Windows 7, as MSE is.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I have been using it through the entire Beta era. My own private tests (very inadequate!) againgst AVGFree and Avast were interesting. The two free programs, in my initial stages of running MSE, found nothing.. MSE, on very first installation, found a Spy cookie. It was insignificant, as a threat, but congrats to MS. As already pointed out, the program uses less resources than most. Even it's automatic update of definitions is smooth and trouble free. I can see, browsing, that it is creeping up the benchmarks also.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I didn't get the download link to connect in time for the Beta, I read somewhere that only 75,000 were available and the servers were very busy. But I do have the final product, and I'm about ready to ditch Avast on my main PC after my tests of it. I don't even notice it's there on my laptops, except the green check mark. An outstanding product.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
After a month of through testing MSE on XP Pro, I have ditched Avast on Windows 7 and replaced it with MSE. At first, I was concerned about the lack of controls and was used to audible updating and even liked that car stereo look of Avast. But MSE won me over with it's impressive performance with little or no human input, except to download & install the program. You have a choice to join with a basic or advanced membership, I chose advanced. Not that you have to do anything extra, it does the work for you. Those two choices are regarding how spyware and viruses are reported. An impressive product from Microsoft, their second in the same year (along with Windows 7).

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
After much looking at, thinking about and saying .... well ? :D my wife has decided to have Microsoft Security Essentials as her running protection on her new tower PC, and looking at MSE it looks pretty dam good !

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
A few minuets ago i uninstalled Vipre and installed MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), i spent some time yesterday running and configuring MSE on my wifes new system and became so impressed with this application from Microsoft i decided to install it on my main Computer, installed easy with no problems, updated and now MSE tells me I'm protected :)....nice one Microsoft :top:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Looking good Veedaz. Since you say you spent some time with the configuration, can you answer one question I had about MSE. When I installed it to "test-drive" awhile ago, I seemed to notice that it only downloaded updates every week and did a quick scan. Is this still true? I felt a bit nervous about waiting a week between updates but alternately didn't feel the need to quick scan every day either. Can the updater be run every day without the Quick Scan?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Hi draceena

MSE updates just before each scheduled scan and i have just set mine to each day, also you can check for updates manually

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I run my full scan every day on my main PC, and I manually update first, in addition to the short nightly scans. There's no such thing as being kept too updated. Everytime that I check, it downloads an update.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
We have a total of 5 Computers running in our home and they all have Microsoft Security Essentials installed now and I'm very happy with it :D

Reaction score
I'm happy to say, I have MSE installed on my PC.
I did a complete full scan and showed to be clean. I do hope that is true. :)
I have not experienced any unusual slowness for two days now.

As much as I have disliked active scanners in the past, I have opened the doors for MSE.
I do still have a-Squared Anti-Malware installed and running with active scanning as well.

WOW, This is two active scanners working at the same time and no sluggish PC. :)

Now whether or not this will protect me or not, who can say for sure. I think I will still rely on my judgment.

Ask a Question