Microsoft Office 2010 in win7- lost office in menu?

Reaction score
Have office 2010 professional in windows 7 ultimate and tried dragging the word icon from start-programs -microsoftoffice- microsoft word, to desktop. I got a dll icon that works great but would like to have the word logo on desktop and also microsoft word is not in the all programs/microsoftoffice/ word where it should be? How do I get that back there with access, excel, one note ect.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
To have the icons show on the Desktop go to All Programs, Microsoft Office, then right-click on the icon you want on the Desktop and select: Send To: Desktop (shortcut). Do that and you'll be good to go with that.

To get the Microsoft Office folder back to the Start Menu or the Word icon go to: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office
Then right-click and "copy & paste" to the Microsoft Office folder in the Start Menu.

ProgramData is a "hidden" folder so you'll have to enable the "show hidden folders" option in the Control Panel - Folder Options section.

Reaction score
I got the first part of your answer. The excel and one note icons are on the desktop. Could you reword your second part. I get to the microsoft office x64 programs folder but am not sure which to copy and paste for microsoft word 2010 only. Is there a particular file I can copy and paste to the start/all programs/microsoftoffice folder.

Reaction score
Not butting in Nibs, but look for WinWord.exe in your Microsoft Office/Office 14 folder. Right click and Send to... Desktop

I tried that but that file is an exe file which assumes you don't already have word installed which I do. So had to cancel installation on that one. My word runs o.k. its just the icon is a dll icon from when I dragged it from start folder to desktop instead of right clicking.

Ask a Question