Microsoft Links 2001 - Cannot start ?

Reaction score
Under Windows XP microsoft Links 2001 golf game installed and ran perfectly. I have tried to install under Windows 7 and it appears to install but when you try to run window appears which ask for Disk 1 to be inserted. When this disk is put in it then says 'Validating installation' and then sits there with this message on the screen and the CD light on for about 5 minutes before producing another window which says 'RUKSHUK.ICD has stopped running'. Can anyone suggest a solution or provide an address for Microsoft Games help.line where I can seek help.?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
It could be possible that this 2001 program just won't work with Windows 7. That was during the time that people were migrating from Win 2K Pro to XP Pro. Compatibility Mode is probably your only chance unless you have Windows 7 Pro. With that OS, you can do this through XP mode, a separate download, a virtual machine type of thing.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for suggestions. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing and also in Compatibility mode but it still exhibits the same problem - 'Verifying installation media'.
I have looked at the surface of Disk 1 but cannot detect any flaws so it cannot be that whch is stopping the verificaion process.

Does anyone know if there is a way of contacting Microsoft support to ask if they have a solution to the problem, as I did so enoy playing this simulation game.?

Ask a Question