Microsoft Access - Cant open file. There is no program registered to open this file

Reaction score
I am running win 7 ultimate and MS access 2010. I use a hyperlink to open files in other parts of database. No problems with most files except when I link to an audio file, whether it be mp3, wav, or other, I get a message. "Cant open file. There is no program registered to open this file". When I have registered windows media player as the default app. to open file.

I see from google that there are others that have encountered the same problem but there does not appear to be a solution even though some posts go back to 2008.

Any advice appreciated.
Robert

Reaction score
Hello,
No. I am still unable to open the wmp files with a hyperlink from MS Access 2010.

I did receive a reply but it was very brief and concerned editing the registry but I have no expertise in that kind of tinkering so I still hope a fix comes along.
I am surprised that Microsoft cant do something because there are a lot of posts with this proble.
Thanks for your interest.
Robert

Reaction score
Hello,
I have given up on Access. There seems to be no fix for this problem.

I have decided to use Excel and it works fine. One thing though that I
would be pleased to address is the annoying Microsoft message:
"Some files can contain viruses. It is important to be certain that this file is from a trustworthy source. Would you like to open the file?"

It opens and works fine. But this dialogue box comes up every time I want to open a file and has to be closed before I can continue.

I have turned off every notice in the trusted locations but the notice continues to appear.
I dont understand why Microsoft seem to make it difficult to turn off some of these over protective activities. Any advice on this matter is appreciated.
Regards
Robert

Ask a Question