Microphone and Music CD's in Xp Virtual

Reaction score
Hi!,
Win7 64bit-Virtual XP
Have been unable to play music CD's or get the microphone working in XP Virtual ..Win sounds OK..Digitial music OK...Digitial Radio OK..XP is using Soundblaster configuration..Tried IRQ settings unable to change these!!..thought that this might be a work around to get Skype to work with the microphone in XP Virtual...can get Skype to work with typing only no microphone comes up in the Control panel/sound...While this is of mild importance and I have no doubt that either Microsoft or Skype will solve the problem I am curious..has anyone any suggestions??:)..Polite ones please!!:)

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

Did you install the XP drivers for Soundblaster while in XP Mode? I noticed the other day when I was trying to get one of my webcams to work that I needed to install the cam software while in XP Mode, while if I tried the same thing in Win 7 only it gave me an incompatibility warning & didn't work. Even then, it didn't recognize the built-in mic on the cam, only the video.

Just a thought:
My understanding about XP Mode was it shouldn't really be considered a full fledged version of XP, not completely capable of all that XP is capable of doing, hence the 16-bit colour. It might be that it will just have a hard time working with a mic.
But if there is a work around, someone will figure it out. I'm messing around with 32-bit Win 7 right now, but will try 64-bit later on this evening-morning. I'll let you know if I luck into anything.

Another thought I just had: Did you try the "Mic-In" plug AND the "Line-In" plug(assuming you have both)?

I hope something I said helps.

Last edited:

Ask a Question