SOLVED Menu and Scrolling Bug? Please help?

Reaction score
I own an Aspire 8735G Laptop with Windows 7 64 bit.
I have had the laptop for barely 3 weeks and the following has started to occur

The menu's within Windows do not allow me to scroll through them. As an example, in the Power Saving window, when I click on the drop down menu to change the amount of time I want my laptop to switch off or dim, the options quickly count down from the point where I click it to 1 minute. It does this everytime.
What's worse is that it was only the Power Save Options that did this to start with. But now is spreading to practically any window of options within Windows, not allowing me to change or alter anything. The only way to ensure nothing it does is saved, I cancel the window.
This is also affecting the scroll bar on some windows. I cannot scroll to the bottom of a page as it just pings back to the top again.

Managed to chat to one guy who suggested that it could be my antivirus that was conflicting. Uninstalled and checked and still had the same problems (tried about 3 antivirus's and none of them were AVG, have heard that's a bit of a nightmare).

Thankyou in advance for any help at all.

Reaction score
You could give Malwarebytes a scan on your system after updating the definitions within the program. That's fairly comprehensive.

Reaction score
Thanks, that would be excellent advice except...
when I downloaded the program and started to set up, the first option is choose a language and because of the situation with the drop down menu's not allowing me to choose the option I want...the only language I can choose is Albanian! Great!
If only I spoke Albanian ay? :)

I fear the only option I may have left is to reinstall windows, it's getting beyond silly now...

Reaction score
I managed to catch the program out and get it to install in English. Did a full scan and found one Hijack item and removed it.

Everything is still the same :(

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Stuart wrote
I have had the laptop for barely 3 weeks and the following has started to occur
Have you tried a system restore to a point before this problem started ?, have you installed any new software just before this problem started ?, and you could give this online scanner / remover a run > http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

Reaction score
When it all started, I did a system restore to the earliest point i could, it was ok for a few minutes then went back to the same problem.
There wasn't any software installed just before the problem started.
And I have tried the scanner you suggested but it can back with 'no threats'.

I'm starting to lose the will to live here, I can't find anyone on any forum that has a simiar problem to me regarding this and although I really appreciate the help that has been suggested, nothing seems to work.
As much as I'd prefer not to, I'm becoming more and more tempted to go back to XP :(

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Try not to loose heart M8, may i suggest a Startup Repair, instructions by our Admin Ian here > https://www.w7forums.com/startup-repair-t441.html and there is the last resort a clean install, i believe something has corrupted your installation and I'm sure it can be fixed even if it takes a clean install.

Reaction score
Thankyou for your words of reassurance (and ever vigilant suggestions). Alas, I thought it would come to this...
When I bought the laptop I didn't get Windows 7 with it on a CD, it just arrived with it installed already. And silly me thought that would be alright! Just means I'll have to shell out for it.
I noticed on Amazon that there were 2 options to buy Windows 7, upgrade and full. If I don't already have the CD but have it on my system, can I get away with buying the upgrade? Obviously Upgrade would be better as it is cheaper.

Reaction score
Just spoken to a guy on another forum and he suggested that I try using the touchpad with the mouse unplugged...
Guess what? It worked a treat! All I had to do was not use my mouse.
The most wonderful thing is, I don't have to buy windows 7...yet. Just too expensive for me at the moment but I know I will eventually.

Thankyou for all of your persistant help though, it has been hugely appreciated.

Reaction score
Ooo, thanks Clifford. That will definately help for future (hopefully though I wont need it).

Ask a Question