Manual arrange files in folders W 7

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Paul, the point is he doesn't want it sorted at all, he wants it to stay where he drops it.

Reaction score
Works like a charm.

TrainableMan,

If you wanted files in your library in a particular order, you can go to the actual folder, pictures, music, downloads, etc., you can rearrange the files in the order you want and then batch rename them, like in XP, and they will be in the new order, with the new names, in your libraries too. Or you could copy the files to a new folder, rearrange, rename and have it both ways. Why this function was left out of W7 is beyond me. I'd like to have the "copy to" and "move to" buttons back on the toolbar also. Drag and drop doesn't always work the way I want it to.

Those two registry changes should quiet everybodys complaints about the file rearranging problem. Wish I would have found that solution last month when I was making a DVD music memorial for a friend of mine. Using one computer with XP to arrange the photos and transferring them to a computer with W7 so I could use the DVD Maker. Trying to arrange 200+ photos in DVD Maker was even more of a pain. If I wanted to make major changes it was, transfer them back to the XP machine rearrange, add, remove, rename, etc., and then transfer back to the W7 machine. USB drives are so handy.

Thanks to Windows 7 Forums I won't have to do that when the next friend dies.

Thanks all.

R

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Mrwmnhtr, I'm not sure where the "batch rename" comes in because it isn't that we want the file names to be changed, it's more that we would like to drag and drop the files around (within the same folder) and have them stay in that location rather than automatically be resorted. In XP you could turn off sort(AutoArrange) and then files simply stayed in the position where you put them.
Picture 1 with XP AutoArrange on: the files are alphabetical
AutoArrangeOn.jpg
Picture 2 with XP AutoArrange off: I can have Spring before Fall, etc.
AutoArrangeOff.jpg

The truth is, for me I can accept my pictures etc being sorted but I hate that the programs list from the start menu sorts alphabetically.

For pictures etc, it's not very user friendly, but you can store sequence numbers in the TAG field and then Sort by TAG. Unfortunately it's not the drag and drop of XP; it requires significant work to change the TAG field on each file to make them reorder as desired.

BTW, your issue, adding "Copy to" & "move to" to the right-click menu is possible. See how HERE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
TrainableMan,

I'm, obviously, still new to W7. I learned later that day, after I made the post on the 22nd, that apparently, W7 has the toolbar with File,
Edit, View, Tools, & Help hidden by default. As both of my computers with W7 were that way and this one I installed myself less than a week ago. The other one I've had for 6 months and didn't know that the toolbar was hidden. WTF? Now I have that toolbar visible, on both computers and on my GFs. Anyway, under the Edit button is the "Copy to folder" and "Move to folder" selections. But they are only visible after you have selected files to move or copy. I don't understand the need for a registry hack. Mind you it's not a context menu selection (right click) but it's just as easy to use and it's the same amount of button clicks. Sure I have to move the mouse 2" to the left but, come on. (It's the only exercise I get.) I don't understand why MS does the things it does. You'd think they would do a better job of beta testing by using real people. Maybe they were in a rush after the Vista disaster.

Is there anything else that is hidden or not outwardly apparent about this version of Windows that I should know about? Or do I have to wait until I can't seem to perform a function that I once could and now not able to? I'll be back when it happens as I'm sure it will.

Thanks for your help,

R

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The registry hack is to add the "move to" & "copy to" to the right-click menu. If you don't use that then you don't need the hack.

They also removed the Quick Launch bar by default because you can now pin things to the task bar. Personally I don't like a bunch of unopened apps mixed in among running apps so I restored Quick Launch.

I don't know that they are things W7 hid or removed but I recommend scanning this W7 tips & tweaks from How-To Geek because I personally used a lot of his stuff. You might also check out our Freeware DB for some useful programs. And Shawn Brink's guides might also give you some ideas.

Reaction score
TrainableMan,

Thanks for the tips, Dude. I bookmarked those links and will get to them as soon I can.

Still cold in PA? My daughter and granddaughter live in Allentown. I got photos yesterday and they have grass in the yard. No snow. Here in Arizona it's been in the 80s and 90s. No humidity. No mosquitoes! Beautiful this time of year. Anyway thanks again.

Later,

R

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Probably at least a half days worth of ideas to sort through in those links.

Grass has been mowed twice already, was about 79 today (which is too hot, 69 is ideal) and a lot of humidity because we've had rain on & off for 3 days. I've been bitten by what was probably a mosquito last week but I haven't noticed a huge problem so far; I have a can of repellent in the truck but haven't used it yet.

I visited Sedona, AZ once in Sept 2001 and it was beautiful to visit but pretty hot, doubt I could survive there in the heat of summer.

Ask a Question