Manual arrange files in folders W 7

Reaction score
In XP, I could re arrange my photographs, ( drag and drop) within a folder, in the order I wanted them to appear in the slide shows that I create (using ProShow Producer).

W 7 does not appear to have have this facility: one can only arrange by month, day, rating and tag.

Does anyone else have this problem, Or am I missing something ?

I am at present having to run two computers side by side, ..XP on the one and Windows 7 on the other.

My old PC can only manage 1Gb of RAM.......I need at least 4GB ram to run Producer hence the new pc with windows 7 and 6GB ram.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Harryh31

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
You have way more options than what you've listed. Right-click and then "Sort By" and look at the "More Options" sections.

There are a veritable plethora to choose from.

Reaction score
In XP, I could re arrange my photographs, ( drag and drop) within a folder, in the order I wanted them to appear in the slide shows that I create (using ProShow Producer).

W 7 does not appear to have have this facility: one can only arrange by month, day, rating and tag.

Does anyone else have this problem, Or am I missing something ?

I am at present having to run two computers side by side, ..XP on the one and Windows 7 on the other.

My old PC can only manage 1Gb of RAM.......I need at least 4GB ram to run Producer hence the new pc with windows 7 and 6GB ram.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Harryh31

Harry, no you're not missing something. You could arrange photos like that in both XP and Vista, but not in W7 as far as I can tell. I have not found a way to do it in W7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Have right clicked everywhere but no "sort by" or "more options" .....only at the top of the picture folder list is .... "arrange by"...giving the options....folder, month, day, rating and tag.
I notice your operating system is Windows 7 Professional, whereas mine is Windows 7 Home Premium........would this make any difference ?

Harry

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, harryh31! I have Windows 7 Pro, and Windows 7 Home Premium on a laptop along with XP Pro. As far as your pictures go, I see no difference between the two. There are five differences between the two: printing, domain controls, remote desktop host, advanced backup and encrypting file system. Nothing to do with pictures.

Reaction score
Hello Dallas Dad.......my first reply to you, seems to have got lost in cyber space...I will try again...Its comforting to know that I am not alone with this problem, what on earth was Microsoft thinking about when they apparently designed this "manual arrange" facility out of Windows 7.
Its like buying a car without a steering wheel...... I feel like ive been robbed.... unless of course Nibiru 2012 can come up with something ....hopefully!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hello Catilley 1092,
Have you tried to re arrange any of your photographs in a picture folder using the drag and drop method in.... Windows 7 home premium...and then try it in Windows XP and note the difference.
Please let me know how you get on.

Reaction score
Hello: Harry,
Found the following , click on "view" on the tool bar, move down the list to "sort by" click on "more" then click on "details".
This seems to be a generic set up for all items in Windows.
Do not know if this will assist in your quest.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Have right clicked everywhere but no "sort by" or "more options" .....only at the top of the picture folder list is .... "arrange by"...giving the options....folder, month, day, rating and tag.
I notice your operating system is Windows 7 Professional, whereas mine is Windows 7 Home Premium........would this make any difference ?

Harry
Right-click while the folder is open in the folder's window. Pro versus Home Premium has nothing to do with it.

Reaction score
Right-click while the folder is open in the folder's window. Pro versus Home Premium has nothing to do with it.

GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!! Many thanks Nibiru 2012,

Perseverance pays.

Harry

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread, Hopefully Nibiru 2012's has helped others as well..........

Harry

Reaction score

GOT IT !!!!!!!!!!! Many thanks Nibiru 2012,

Perseverance pays.

Harry
Right click / Sort by / More Options does not address the question of manually arranging pictures by drag and drop. The "More Options" is simply to:

"Select the Details You Want to Display for the Items in This Folder" like size and date to display. It has nothing to do with arranging, or drag and drop.
If I'm mistaken, please correct me.

Harry I'm totally familiar with the drag and drop arranging feature you asked about, because in previous OS's I used that feature frequently. But again, I have found no setting in W7 to allow that feature. If someone else has, I'm anxious to hear about it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello Dallas Dad.
You are correct ......."More Options" does not address the original problem, as we know it.
My latest experiments have shown it can be done, slightly long winded, but the end result is the same. There are no settings in w7 to follow
Before I set out my system, do you know how to "automatically sequentially renumber files in a folder".
Harry

Reaction score
Hello Dallas Dad.
You are correct ......."More Options" does not address the original problem, as we know it.
My latest experiments have shown it can be done, slightly long winded, but the end result is the same. There are no settings in w7 to follow
Before I set out my system, do you know how to "automatically sequentially renumber files in a folder".
Harry

No I don't Harry. It's hard enough just to say it. Haha

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Not the answer you are lookng for, but I use Ashampoo Photo Commander, which can do what you are asking, plus quite a bit more. There could be some freeware programs out there which can also handle it?

Reaction score
Dallas Dad ,
OK, watch this space, It may take a little while to prepare a tutorial. Breifly...... it envolves, automatically sequentially renumbering the files, and then dragging the files you want to reposition, into the desktop, altering their numbers, and dragging them back into the folder again, where they will go into the new position you want them.........sounds worse than it is..........still interested ?????
Harry

Reaction score
Dallas Dad ,
OK, watch this space, It may take a little while to prepare a tutorial. Breifly...... it envolves, automatically sequentially renumbering the files, and then dragging the files you want to reposition, into the desktop, altering their numbers, and dragging them back into the folder again, where they will go into the new position you want them.........sounds worse than it is..........still interested ?????
Harry
Nah, more work than it's worth, but thanks for the thought. Good luck.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unfortunately I use Libraries for about 99% of my file references, including pictures so that regedit didn't help because it doesn't work in libraries (nor tiled displays).

Reaction score
right click in the open photos window and just select the option you need from the sort by menu that will open as a sub menu within the menu opened by right clicking

Ask a Question