Manage Partitions

Reaction score
Anyone got an idea of what should be kept on an External HD with 1T and two partitions besides backups and photos?

Any suggestions welcome.
Patti

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Photos and Documents are actually quite small. Music tends to use more space. And Videos, especially movies, tend to use a lot of space.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Anyone got an idea of what should be kept on an External HD with 1T and two partitions besides backups and photos?

Any suggestions welcome.
Patti
I think you can delete any back-up images on the external drive made with Macrium, prior to the partition changes on your internal drive. They have to be pretty sizable and they won't do you much good now unless you want to put things back to the previous state. This will free up lots of space and allow for more streamlining. You will make new back-up images when there is a place to store them.

Reaction score

Before I clear out the externals,( I have made a backup of current situation,) I thought I should get my internal hard drive to where I want it as you said.

Attached snip of drives H & I external, C, F-Data and D-XP.
I have included snip using Paragon as it is easier to see, and also Easeus which I used last time. I will need help with it as I have read instructions and a bit vague.

I want to increase the F-Data partion to hold more data. I have about 6GB Data to move over from C.

Then perhaps reduce size of C?

Also re backups, I have used Macrium again. I could clear enough off H to make room for an Easeus BU if you think it is better. Easus also has a clone ability, Macrium uses Disk Image (I don't know if they are different or which would work for me if I had a meltdown).
Welcome Back:)

Attachments

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
So you still have 123.6 GB of unallocated space to use. Is that what you want to add to F?
It will most likely be a 2 step process because D is in between the unallocated space and F.
Have you read through the info at the bottom of the Paragon Page? It looks like that wizard will do what you want. I don't have that program installed so it's hard to know.

As far as back ups are concerned, I use Easeus Todo backup which is free and quite similar to Macrium. Both will make the images you want. Cloning is not what you want right now. If you ever bought a new hard drive then cloning is useful.

http://http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/download.htm

Reaction score
Yes, I want to increase the F-Data using the 123.6 unallocated.
I could not figure out how to use Easeus's two step process, but Paragon looks straightforward- but I have not used it either.
Attachment shows using the 123gb on Paragon.

I think I will make 2 backups using both Macrium and Easeus - does that sound like overkill?

Attachments

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Yes, I want to increase the F-Data using the 123.6 unallocated.
I could not figure out how to use Easeus's two step process, but Paragon looks straightforward- but I have not used it either.
Attachment shows using the 123gb on Paragon.
Perfect!! Let it rip.
It may take a little longer than the other tasks you've done (because the D partition needs to be moved) but it seems it will do it in 1 step.
Is that the paid version of Paragon? I might have to get that>:)

I think I will make 2 backups using both Macrium and Easeus - does that sound like overkill?
Overkill? Maybe but look at it as learning experience and a way to compare the 2 products. I had 1 experience with Macrium 3-4 years ago that left a bad taste in my mouth and it just so happens that Todo was just being released at that time. I tried it and never looked back. But I would never tell anyone to not use Macrium because of that. If anyone has time to play with these programs I would encourage it.

Reaction score
Well, I jumped in with Paragon Partion Manager v9 and it worked very smoothly. Took about 30min. See attachment. Do you think the amount on C is OK or too much?

I did two backups and see one bigger than the other, both easy to use but how well they work when needed is the question and I hope I don't need to find out! Macrium BU 126,786,194KB, Easus BU 178,559,241KB

Paragon Partiion Manager special this week $9.95
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/eshop.html?affChecked=1

Well I guess the next thing is to clean up my external hd. I have a lot of stuff copied over from my old computer, most of it can go I think. I have always been afraid of loosing my data and everything including programs in a meltdown. Had one once and had a fellow take my computer away and he saved the data but I was very upset.

Anyway, thanks for having confidence!!

Attachments

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Do you think the amount on C is OK or too much?
I'd leave it for now. Did you move that extra data from C that you talked about? (6GB)

I did two backups and see one bigger than the other, both easy to use but how well they work when needed is the question and I hope I don't need to find out! Macrium BU 126,786,194KB, Easus BU 178,559,241KB
You should create the bootable discs for both programs if you haven't done so. Label them and keep safe.

As far as the size difference, the default compression settings probably differ. I generally choose the "medium" setting in Todo. The higher the compression level the smaller the backup image. The higher the compression level the longer it takes to create.

Paragon Partiion Manager special this week $9.95
http://www.paragon-software.com/home...l?affChecked=1
I see that's for a 10 day license. :mad:(Crooks)

Well I guess the next thing is to clean up my external hd. I have a lot of stuff copied over from my old computer, most of it can go I think. I have always been afraid of loosing my data and everything including programs in a meltdown. Had one once and had a fellow take my computer away and he saved the data but I was very upset.
Better safe than sorry.
Again, any previous backup images can go and that's a good start. Good luck Patti! :beer:

Reaction score
Yes, I moved the 6GB today. Lovely to have the space.
I will make bootable disks.
Sorry about the Paragon. I had downloaded my free v9 long ago and never got around to updating it.
Now I will start to delete stuff from external.
Thanks a mil for all your help, hope you get that holiday soon. :ciao:

Ask a Question