Manage Partitions

Reaction score
A few years ago when I got a new computer (325GB Hdrive) i divided the disk into two partitions - one for W7Ultima and one for XP.
This worked well but now I find I need more space on my W7 partion C.

The two partitions are showing:
W7 C 136GB used - 14GB free and
D 10GB used and 163GB free

XP C 10GB used and 164GB free
D 136GB used and 14GB free.

I have Paragon Partition Manager 9 Special Edition and I was going to use this to adjust the W7 C partion from its D partion.
Then I noticed what was shown on the XP partions and now I am all confused.
Do I have enough space on any of the D partiions to enlarge W7 C partion?
Maybe I am really having a senior moment??:confused:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
If you're ready to get rid of the XP installation, you can use Partition Manager to erase the D partition, then you should be able to expand the C partition to use the empty space.

Reaction score
Thanks but I want to keep my XP for some old programs I still use.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Then don't erase the XP partition, just resize it, and then merge the empty space into the W7 partition.

Reaction score
Thanks. Just to review -
Partition for W7 C shows of a total of 151GB I have 16.6GB free.
For Partition for XP for C shows a total of 174GB I have 164 free

then
for W7 D shows total of 174GB I have 238GB free
For XP D shows total of 151GB I have 16.6 free just exactly opposite the above.

It would appear I can take some of the 164GF free from XP C and give to W7 C?
Then take some of the 23GB free from W7 D and give it to XP D?

I just feel a bit insecure about changing the spaces of partitions, never done it before.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but the numbers don't add up unless you have 2 325Gb drives.
Post a screen shot of what the Paragon drive map is showing you.

Reaction score
I tried to use Print Screen and also Snipping tool to put a screen shot on this window but it won't let me Paste.
I went to Belarc and copied the drive info:
Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United Kingdom)

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA78LM-S2H
Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b2.90 gigahertz AMD Athlon II X3 435
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (3 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-MA78LM-S2H
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F2 09/16/2009
Drives Memory Modules c,d350.34 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
189.96 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD5000AAKB-00H8A0 [Hard drive] (500.11 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAT00794338, rev 05.04E05, SMART Status: Healthy

Does that tell you anything?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Try a reply using the advanced reply mode and click on the paperclip and then browse to the snip pic, then upload. be aware of the file size and adjust if needed.
The Belarc stuff is confusing. Sorry.:)

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Why are there massive amounts of unallocated space? Are they being used by Linux or something?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
That's a 500 gig Western Digital Hard drive. I assume XP is on D and W7 on C or vice versa.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Ok Patti this won't be too hard but give me a second to think about it.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
First I would back up all your important data to a backup hard drive or dvds. Then using the Paragon program, highlight the the C partition and choose move/resize this partition or something along those lines. You should then be able to click on the C partition and slide it all the way to the right and be left with about 139 GB between D and C. Nothing will actually change until you click apply so you can give thought to each step. You can cancel before you apply the changes also. If you apply the changes it may take awhile to move all the data on C.
Do you want to try this first step?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I need a day or so to do all the backups - I have an external hard drive. Then I will get back to you. Thanks

Reaction score
Ok, backup made using Macrium Reflect. Any more advice before I make the plunge?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Ok, backup made using Macrium Reflect. Any more advice before I make the plunge?
Just to refresh, the plan is to move the C partition to to the right (end of drive) and be left with about 139 gig in the center. I would apply this step first and make sure it works. Then you can expand D partition to include all or part of that 139 gig or (and I like this option better) create a new data partition that you can move all your data to, and access it from both operating systems.

Let it rip, keep us posted and good luck!

Reaction score
Ok, I see what you mean with the 139 gigs. I do not catch what you mean by "create a new data partition that you can move all your data to, and access it from both operating systems"
Would that not defeat my having two partitions one for W7 and one for XP?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
No, it's my understanding that you have 2 operating systems because you can't run some of your programs on Win7. All I'm saying is create a partition for your documents pictures, movies and music and you can access them from XP or Win7. Your programs would stay where they are. I think one of the reasons you are running out of space on Win7 is because you have a lot of this kind of data.

If you create a 139Gb partition, create folders on it like pic folder, video or whatever and cut and paste that stuff there. This allows you to gain more free space on your existing partitions and let's you use all the space on your hard drive. (you paid for the whole thing, may as well use it) You can do this now or in the future.

The easiest way to gain space now is to expand your D partition to include some or all of that unallocated 139Gb.

Here is an example from my laptop.

Attachments

Reaction score
Ok, thank you for all your help. I will work on this it seems logical. :beer:

Reaction score
Hi again. In looking at your attachment it appears you have your operating system (Windows) on a separate partition, data on another and backups on another?

I am thinking of puttin W7 on a separate partition also but am unsure of how to do it. Can you advise? Also, is it wise to have Backups on same hard drive?

Ask a Question