Manage Partitions

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Yes.
Which one do you find the easiest? I have the most experience with Easeus and find MT Partition Wizard almost identical. I consider both easy. I have not used Paragon in a few years and don't know if it has changed much since then.
Do you want me to go through it with you? I'd be happy to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
there are several free partition software in disk partition management. and after comparing, I perfer AOMEI Partition Assistant and Paragon Disk Manager.
1. Gparted: open source disk partition software. not very easy to use for novices
2. Paragon Disk Manager: old and good free software but with some limitations
3. Minitool partition wizard: rich features
4. AOMEI Partition Assistant: I've been using its home edition for a long time. latest 5.1 version is multi-language version which supports 7 languages. there are also many outstanding features compare with other free partition software. migrate os to ssd wizard helps many ssd users without reinstalling os. the fresher interface also attract many editors.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,222251-order,4/description.html

Reaction score
That would be Wonderful!:) I think EaseUs & MiniTool about the same but I do have a Bootable CD for MiniTool.

I have attached some images to help showing what is in my C and D partitions. These are for Windows 7. XP is on the other Dual Boot Partion not shown. I see there is a Windows folder on both C & D which has puzzled me as I thought Windows was the OS?

The images show H and I which are the partions on my External Hard Disk. H is where I have my Backups stored.

Attachments

Reaction score
""1. Gparted: open source disk partition software. not very easy to use for novices
4. AOMEI Partition Assistant: I've been using its home edition for a long time. latest 5.1 version is multi-language version which supports 7 languages. there are also many outstanding features compare with other free partition software. migrate os to""

Thanks. I will look these over also.
Patti

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I misinterpreted your original screen shot a little but now with these others I think your tasks just became easier.:)

Pick 1 program and stick with it for now. Easeus would be my choice. Open up the program and right click on the W7 partition and click on move/resize and a new window will open. Hover the cursor over the right side of the partition and the cursor will change from a pointer to something like this <||>. Left click and hold mouse button and slide the whole thing to the right, straight through the unallocated space and release the mouse button. (nothing will actually happen until you click apply later) Click ok. That operation should appear in pending tasks, but you can look at what your new partition will look like.

When you click apply the program will do it's magic. This kind of task happens quickly and it will be done before you know it and your partition will have gained 84GB.

Reaction score
Ok, lovely. Before I do it, my for my backup I used Macrium Reflect v5. I also have a Windows 7 backup.

If---- I have another black screen or it won't boot, since I don't have a bootable CD for Easeus do you think I am ok? Obviously you do or you would not suggest it, I am just nervouse:eek:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I think you will be fine. This process won't affect your boot manager if everything is as it appears on the disk map.

When it's done, I have more suggestions.:D

Go for it and good luck.

Reaction score
Success! With your step by step all went quickly and smoothly. What a relief off my mind having this done! Thanks so much.

More suggestions always welcome.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Woohoo!:beer:

First suggestion: Repeat the process, only this time drag the left side of the partition to the left until it hits the xp partiton. Voila! 55 more GB for you.

And down the road think about shrinking the xp partition to gain more space. You will never need that much space for xp unless you want to duplicate your personal data over there but there's no reason to do that.

And further down the road we can work on cleaning up the external drive if you want to.

It was my pleasure. Cheers!

Mark the thread solved if you like.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
there are several free partition software in disk partition management. and after comparing, I perfer AOMEI Partition Assistant and Paragon Disk Manager.
1. Gparted: open source disk partition software. not very easy to use for novices
4. AOMEI Partition Assistant: I've been using its home edition for a long time. latest 5.1 version is multi-language version which supports 7 languages. there are also many outstanding features compare with other free partition software. migrate os to ssd wizard helps many ssd users without reinstalling os. the fresher interface also attract many editors.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,222251-order,4/description.html
Aomei is a fine partition tool also. I tried it on one of the rigs a couple months ago and kept it.:cool:

Reaction score
""And down the road think about shrinking the xp partition to gain more space. You will never need that much space for xp unless you want to duplicate your personal data over there but there's no reason to do that.""

I have attached an image of my Dual Boot Partions #1 is W7 (bottom) and #2 is from rebooting and getting XP.

As you can see the partion?/section? C on #1-W7 is just the opposite of #2-XP. If I shrink D on #1-W7, won't that effect #2-XP?

I would like to get my computer and these partions and external hard drives all cleaned up in the next few weeks before my new projects are due to start in fall.
Shall I mark the thread solved if we continue to talk?
Have a good one:)

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm not seeing an attachment in your last post. Were you referring to an earlier attachment?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm confused...:confused:

Top/bottom? Are you looking at the external USB drive?

Both images are showing me the same thing. Are you asking is it ok to adjust one partition (XP) from within W7 the answer is yes. You can adjust either partition from either OS if you have the software (Easeus or whatever) installed on both OS'. If it were me, I would shrink the XP volume while booted into W7.
Shrinking XP will probably take longer than the other task you have already completed if any physical data has to be moved. Trust the program

So pick a number. Example; you can gain 100Gb more by shrinking XP to 75Gb and that is still considered a lot of space for XP. Shrink to 50Gb and gain 125 and so on.

Edit: Ah I see the drive letters are reversed and that is your concern? Don't worry about it! All windows OS from the beginning of time like to show themselves as the C partition. It makes no difference with what you want to do. Above post still stands.:)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok, so I think you are saying the OS for XP is D#2 (on earlier image) and OS for W7 is C#1.
What has puzzled me is that both the OS seem to be using the same amount of space 235.6G.

Looking at the two images, by going to Computer> D or C> properties, both on XPD and W7C show about 13GB of the 174.6GB as used. So as you say I should reduce D from W7 and that will correspondingly reduce C in XP? Confused?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Boot into W7 and click start then computer. On the drop down option click tiles. Post that image here.

See this.

Attachments

Reaction score
As a result of my "cleaning files" today all of a sudden my desktop icon shortcuts won't work. Can't even open Recydle bin (which I emptied today).
Shall I see help from a new thread?:confused:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
If you have a restore point from before the cleaning you can try that first. Start/type restore /System restore.

Reaction score
:eek:Yes, did that twice, second time all is well I think. What a day. More tomorrow

Ask a Question