Manage Partitions

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
There you go. XP (D) is using 15 Gb of a possible 174. W7 is using 135 of a possible 235.

What are you thinking about doing next?

Reaction score
It sounds likeyou are saying W7 is running on C and XP is running on D.
But you cannot run both programs from the same disk/partion?.

I cannot see anything from my W7 C or D that pertains to XP nor can I see anything on C or D from XP that pertains to W7.

I have to completely shut down/restart my computer and select W7 or XP and then operate which ever program I have selected.

I am just not seeing what you are saying.
I have attached the windows I see from within XP.

Reaction score
I cannot seem to get this program to accept my rtf images and I don't have the same program on XP to get snippits.

I can see the info from my external hard disks from both XP and W7 programs so I saved the image to them but does not seem to work.
Anyway, do you see what I am trying to say??

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
When you're booted into W7, it's running on C. XP is not running at all. Only 1 OS at a time.
Not at the same time and not from the same partition, but yes from the same disk. That's what a dual boot system is.
I cannot see anything from my W7 C or D that pertains to XP nor can I see anything on C or D from XP that pertains to W7.
The OS's don't want to have anything to do with each other when running. They won't play happily together. But, if you boot into either OS and open the D partition, is there not a Windows folder in there?
If you boot into W7 you could remove the drive letter D (hide it from C) and then it wouldn't show up at all when you open Computer but you could still dual boot without a problem. Same holds true if you boot into XP because when you do XP is now the C partition and W7 is the D partition. As I said earlier that's the default behavior of MS Windows operating systems. Below is an image of my H partition that holds my Windows 8.

I have to completely shut down/restart my computer and select W7 or XP and then operate which ever program I have selected.
Yes that's what a dual boot system is.
I cannot seem to get this program to accept my rtf images and I don't have the same program on XP to get snippits.
rtf images? Not familiar with that. But if they are on the external and you can open them from W7 then you could take a snippit from that maybe? Or how about "print screen"?

Attachments

Reaction score
A When you're booted into W7, it's running on C. XP is not running at all. Only 1 OS at a time.
Quote:
A Not at the same time and not from the same partition, but yes from the same disk. That's what a dual boot system is.

Ok, I understand, I misunderstood when you said W7 was on C and XP was on D.
I think I have my attachments on now and they show what I see from opening up in XP.
See how the letters are reversed.

Attachments

Reaction score
So what do I want to do next? (not in order of importance)
1. I would like to have a simple backup of my computer so if all crashes, I can simply to to it and start up again. I have several backup programs but they all seem a bit vague to me.

My Macrium Reflect 5 has the ability to Clone. I don't think the others do. Do you think that would be the best way to have a good backup? Everyone talks about backups but no one really explains how or if they really work.

2. I think I would like to have W7 OS on C and Data on D but would the Data be accessable from XP. As I understand it - no unless it was on the External HD.

3. I need to clean up my External Hard disk, it is full of junk. I have been worried about having another meltdown like I did with my old computer so I have a lot of duplications, etc. on it.

Where to start???

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
First, is the 55.4 GB unallocated space still there?

If that were my computer and my ultimate goals were the same as yours, I would

A) shrink the XP partition to 50GB freeing up 124GB to add to the 55GB. I would do that task from within the W7 operating system.

B) I would change the drive letter on the xp partition to (X) and label it XP in the hopes that drive letters no longer confuse me.:) The dual boot will still work flawlessly.

C) I would create a new partition for data (D) and Label it Data. The size will start out at about 179GB. More to be added later. I would create folders and name them Music, Videos, Docs or something similar and start moving the data there. And yes this data would be accessible from both OS.:) I would make sure that my programs such as i-tunes would know where the music went. I would leave all the programs on each OS where they are and just move personal data only.

I have more to say but I"ll post this for now.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
D) I would eventually like to shrink the W7 partition to about 100GB so, as I move the personal data off that partition I'll make note of how much space I'm gaining. The reason for doing this is 1) my future back up images will be much smaller and more manageable and 2) I will gain another 135GB to add to the data partition.

E) I would make sure this configuration is working well from both operating systems and then attack the external drive mess. For one thing my computer configuration has changed so all the old Macrium backups would be useless unless I wanted to revert everything back to the way it was, but I wouldn't want that.

Not having seen anything about the external drive except that it is very full, I would need your help in deciding how to make space for the new backups.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Cloning hard drives?
I only do it if I buy another hdd and I want to replace the existing. I rely on back up images for backups.
If you haven't tried Easeus Todo Back-up (free), give it a try. A lot of people like Macrium, but I left it a few years back and have been using Todo ever since. It has a cloning feature as well. It all comes down to personal preference though.

Reaction score
First, is the 55.4 GB unallocated space still there? Yes it is still there.

I would
A) shrink the XP partition to 50GB freeing up 124GB to add to the 55GB. I would do that task from within the W7 operating system.

B) I would change the drive letter on the xp partition to (X) and label it XP in the hopes that drive letters no longer confuse me.:) The dual boot will still work flawlessly. A) & B) you mean the D section from opening in W7 (attachment?)

C) I would create a new partition for data (D) and Label it Data. The size will start out at about 179GB. More to be added later. I would create folders and name them Music, Videos, Docs or something similar and start moving the data there. And yes this data would be accessible from both OS.:) This new (D) for data would be on external hard drive? otherwise how would it be available when I boot up in XP?

I would make sure that my programs such as i-tunes would know where the music went. I would leave all the programs on each OS where they are and just move personal data only.

Attachments

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
A) & B) you mean the D section from opening in W7 (attachment?)
Yes

[quote This new (D) for data would be on external hard drive? otherwise how would it be available when I boot up in XP?][/quote]

It will be on your internal drive. Lets create it now. We won't do anything with the XP partition yet. Boot into W7 and open Easeus PM and right click on the 55GB unallocated space and click Create. In the Partition Label box type Data. Accept the other options it is giving you including the drive letter. Click okay/apply/yes. When it's done you have a data partition. Shut down and boot into XP and open my computer and if you see the data partition, you have access to it.

If the external drive is confusing you, disconnect it before you start.

Reaction score
Brilliant!! all ok. I can access F from both W7 and XP.
If I had called D XP (from within W7 when I set it up, do you think I would have become so confused?

Now that that has worked, should we go to ""A) shrink the XP partition to 50GB freeing up 124GB to add to the 55GB. I would do that task from within the W7 operating system.""

Using Easeus?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Yes but I'm going out for several hours. I know you can handle it but if you want to wait that's ok.

Nice going on your F partition!:cool:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Ok I'm back. $1000 poorer :eek: but still got my health.

Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting shopping trip :eek:

(What do you call C & D & F when you have opened My Computer? They are not Partitions and don't seem to be disks - I think of them as Sections on W7 or on XP- semantics :eek:

Anyway, I have successfully shrunk my D down to 51GB - ya. Shall I now go to My Computer>r click on D cl Rename> then XP?
I now have 123GB unallocated space.

I have attached an image of what files are in D (from within W7) these are used for XP?
Do I just leave all this alone?

Attachments

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting shopping trip :eek:
Kitchen upgrades! You think you can upgrade 1 thing but you can't. Never just one thing. Or 2 things.:banghead:

(What do you call C & D & F when you have opened My Computer? They are not Partitions and don't seem to be disks - I think of them as Sections on W7 or on XP- semantics :eek:
They are called partitions. You can have up to 4 primary partitions on a disk and you now have 3. W7 is 1, XP is another and Data F is another.

Anyway, I have successfully shrunk my D down to 51GB - ya. Shall I now go to My Computer>r click on D cl Rename> then XP?
I now have 123GB unallocated space.
Congrats and awesome!
I would rename it from the Easeus program because the name change will hold when you boot into XP. If you just right cl from w7/computer and rename that will only hold while you are booted into W7.
You can add the 123Gb to Data (F) or create another partition. Your call

I have attached an image of what files are in D (from within W7) these are used for XP?
Do I just leave all this alone?
Yes leave it alone. You can remove the drive letter (D) from within W7 and it will become invisible (from W7) then you wouldn't have to worry about anyone getting in to that partition and screwing things up. 1 little file deletion could render XP useless. I used to do this when other people had access to my Dual boot system. Now it's just my wife and I and I'm not worried about it so much.

I'm very happy that you are accomplishing what you set out to do and are learning a thing or 2 along the way. Soon we will be tackling the external.:D

Reaction score
Kitchen upgrades! You think you can upgrade 1 thing but you can't. Never just one thing. Or 2 things.:banghead: Oh ya, been trough that, nightmare. Love your head butt.

They are called partitions. You can have up to 4 primary partitions on a disk and you now have 3. W7 is 1, XP is another and Data F is another.
Thank you I have wondered about that for a long time. Seemed like I had two Partitions W7 and XP on one Disk and 2 or 3 section on each Partition. Seems like people interchange the terms.

Congrats and awesome!
I would rename it from the Easeus program because the name change will hold when you boot into XP. If you just right cl from w7/computer and rename that will only hold while you are booted into W7.
Ok, have done that.

You can add the 123Gb to Data (F) or create another partition. Your call OK

Yes leave it alone. You can remove the drive letter (D) from within W7 and it will become invisible (from W7) then you wouldn't have to worry about anyone getting in to that partition and screwing things up. 1 little file deletion could render XP useless. I used to do this when other people had access to my Dual boot system. Now it's just my wife and I and I'm not worried about it so much. OK, scary to hide something, afraid I will never find it again, I do that all the time. Anyway, went to Computer>r click D and there is no way to delete it or change name?

I next will enlarge my F and move Data over from C. I notice a lot of things from back 1998 on in files that were probably brought over when I moved from old computer. I am afraid to
delete it. Also, what about Program Files? Leave them on the C OS?

I'm very happy that you are accomplishing what you set out to do and are learning a thing or 2 along the way. Soon we will be tackling the external.:D
You have been soooo helpful and have given me confidence as I was not alone. We are going away for about 10days on Tuesday so I will tackle the External when I get back:ciao:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Yes leave it alone. You can remove the drive letter (D) from within W7 and it will become invisible (from W7) then you wouldn't have to worry about anyone getting in to that partition and screwing things up. 1 little file deletion could render XP useless. I used to do this when other people had access to my Dual boot system. Now it's just my wife and I and I'm not worried about it so much. OK, scary to hide something, afraid I will never find it again, I do that all the time. Anyway, went to Computer>r click D and there is no way to delete it or change name?
Well don't delete it, that's not good!:lol:
I understand your apprehension. But if you want to do it, cl start/and type disk management, choose create and format... and you will get to it. Right cl D and choose change drive letters.....cl remove and okay. My pictures show partition (F) yours will be (D)

I next will enlarge my F and move Data over from C. I notice a lot of things from back 1998 on in files that were probably brought over when I moved from old computer. I am afraid to
delete it. Also, what about Program Files? Leave them on the C OS?
Yeah don't touch any program files and don't delete anything until you have time to go through it and think about. Delete them from F later if you choose.

You have been soooo helpful and have given me confidence as I was not alone. We are going away for about 10days on Tuesday so I will tackle the External when I get back:ciao:
Have a great trip!

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi, good holiday, now back to work.
I am still moving data from C to F slowly.

You mentioned cleaning up External HD. I know I have everything including kitchen sink in there, I am just afraid of a total melt down and not being able to get things back.
Anyway, any suggestions?:)

Ask a Question