SOLVED Lost start menu

Reaction score
I have lost the writing on my start menu though the links still work if I click on them, any ideas?

Attachments

Reaction score
are you using some type of system cleaner that has option on cleaning start menu. i know Ccleaner and Advanced System Care has it.

Reaction score
Thank you for the quick help replies. The system file checker didn't find any problems and while I have got CCleaner on my computer I havent run it for a month or so. I'll keep thinking and hope somehow I find a solution.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
CCleaner might delete your recent file list but I have never seen it do that.

First I would download run a complete virus scan in safe mode.

If it is not a virus then I suspect your language was changed to something other than English or Portuguese. Do you have W7 Ultimate?

Reaction score
this Advanced System Care, user assist history cleans start menu. paid version of Ccleaner and Advanced System Care will automatically clean. i use free version of both.

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, what it is cleaning is your recently used items list (and possibly shortcuts to items that have been moved/deleted), but it doesn't change anything on the actual pinned start menu items and definitely doesn't change the text.

In other words it will remove the whole line or nothing, it won't leave it but change the text.

Reaction score
run command prompt as administrator, type sfc/scannow, and run disk check memory diagnostic and start up repair to see if they will fix writing in start menu.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Running sfc /scannow is a good idea, it will check and repair any damaged system files, so I agree it is worth trying that as well.

But also please let us know what version of W7 you have, I'm curious if it is Ultimate because it has the language options.

Shintaro

Reaction score
So what happens when you boot to Safe Mode? Is the start menu the same?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's why I asked if it was Windows Ultimate; I suspect maybe the language is set to farsi or some other such language, like maybe she accidentally clicked Persian instead of Portuguese.

Reaction score
Righted

After 2 days of looking like that when I switched on this morning it had righted itself, sorry, I have no idea why so I can't help to solve any future problems, thank you all for your help.

Reaction score
I only saw some of the suggestions today, I don't have windows ultimate and I didn't run in safe mode because..lo and behold it worked.

Reaction score
your welcome, sounds like it had a driver loading issue.
in accessories right click command prompt run as administrator, type in just like this sfc/scannow, it will scan for corrupt files and fix them if it can.

Reaction score
your welcome, sounds like it had a driver loading issue.
in accessories right click command prompt run as administrator, type in just like this sfc/scannow, it will scan for corrupt files and fix them if it can.
Drivers are for driving hardware, this was more of a font issue. There is no hardware involved with the Start Menu.

And once again:
She said the System File Checker didn't find anything wrong.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hmmm it doesn't appear that people are reading the posts.

Anyway anna62,

I would suggest that you make sure that your anti-virus software is up to date. Then run a virus scan and a malware scan.

You might like to try Malwarebytes free version. http://www.malwarebytes.org/

That start menu behavior is very strange.

Ask a Question