Lock Standard User Desktop

Reaction score
Hey All!

Long story short I work for IT for a school district the new lab has 50 new Windows 7 Pro Computers im familiar with Windows 7 and there just local "Student Accounts" i setup a Non-Administartor GPO for the user and works great! The only thing I wish to lock down is the desktop such as icons or adding icons I found a couple things but im looking for the easiest way. These computers don't use AD or Domain. Is there maybe a way once I have the desktop setup the way I want it such as browsers and what not to use it as a "Temp Profile" and clear it at log off? I know the Guest account can do that but we use specific home pages on the account and have a mapped network drive for students to save files.

Thanks,
Nick

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Open Local Group Policy editor (GPEDIT.MSC)

Local Computer Policy
>User Configuration
>>Administrative Templates
>>>Desktop
>>>>Desktop
All kinds of things you can try setting there ("Prohibit changes", "Prohibit adding", "Prohibit Deleting") to see if it works as you want.

Ask a Question