linux to windows.....???

Reaction score
hi all, I want to ask, I use 32bit ubuntu linux, and now I want to make a dual boot with windows 7 64 bit, what problems will occur, and whether it should be windows 7 32 bit too?? please explain to me thanks ... for all

Reaction score
Hi 7boys.

I know that it is easy to add Linux to a Windows system but I'm not too sure about doing it the other way about. Grub certainly respects the Windows boot loader but I am not at all sure that Windows respects Grub.

The key thing is going to be how your drive is partitioned. If you do not already have an unused partition then you are going to have to create one.The quickest, simplest and safest way to do this is probably going to be putting a new drive in your PC. You can then load Windows 7 on that drive with minimal risk to your Ubuntu instal.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
7boys, welcome to the forum! Having Ubuntu Linux and Windows 7 on the same disc is fine. But Windows 7 has to be installed first. As to the 32 or 64 bit question, if your computer will run 64 bit, then install 64 bit Windows 7. When installing Windows 7, you should partition the drive, it will allow you to select how much of the drive you want for Windows. Be sure to format it after you choose how much space to use. Update it fully, install your programs, you're ready to go.

Then to install Ubuntu, boot from your disc as normal, then select how much of the remaining space you want to use. Be sure to leave enough to create your "swap" partition (an amount equal to your RAM). I'm assuming here that you know about Ubuntu, so I'll leave it at that.

When everything is installed, your Ubuntu boot screen will appear at startup. From there, you can choose Windows 7 "loader", as it's called, to boot into 7.

Hopefully, this is of some help to you, 7boys. I run Ubuntu on my notebook, and Mint on my desktop, so I'm a little familiar with it. Should you have a question along the way, post back. Be sure to check the tutorials out on the forum here, if you've never ran Windows 7 before. There's many helpful tips there.

And always feel free to come back, this is a really good place to learn Windows 7.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
thanks catilley1092 for the explanation, really helped me ...

Ask a Question